1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

600/750/900 Shared Engine Parts.

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Nasher, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Can't help with the pistons but you can get rings from Total Seal; TOTAL SEAL PISTON RINGS they make all sizes, I have the gapless top rings for higher compression.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Thanks Dukedesmo, I've just sent them an email.
    Nasher

3. Thought I'd post a couple of images of where we'd got to.

Nasher.
    P9260002.JPG P9260004.JPG

• Like Like x 2
  4. Great thread as I also have 2 half engines from different sources to glue together!

Did you make the stand yourself?

5. Seems a weird size to me. 94mm is 944cc and the most common oversize, especially because Ducati themselves made it. I would have thought that overbores would be done in whole mm though, often 2mm at a time as 1mm hardly seems worth it?

Brad black's site gives some info on different bores, it seems a 95mm is a 964cc BikeBoy.org - Ducati Capacities

But assuming the 900 engines have the same 'architecture' as the early 4v (and I'm certain they do as the 4v were based on the 2v block) then 95mm maybe considered as big as is safe to go?

916 race bikes were bored from 94mm to 96mm to give 955cc and were reliable at that but they had a better (water) cooling system, however when bored to 98mm for 996cc they kept failing, prompting Ducati to build a new block for the 996.

So maybe the 2v found their sweet-spot at 95mm?

• Like Like x 1
  6. I was going to, basically a couple of flat plates, but I had a quick look on Ebay and picked these up for £15.

The 966 big bore appears to have been quite popular a few years ago, mainly from CA-Cycleworks, but it's not available any more.

Nasher.

7. This project is going far too slowly really but we got some work done today and I'm a little concerned.

All the parts lists I have, and some research online, show a restrictor insert like a tube being fitted in the tops of the oil passage in each barrel, presumably to do something with the oil pressure at that point.

The barrels we have appear to have been drilled and tapped to take a solid grub screw to completely block off the oil passage.

Is this a normal mod?
    Or am I misunderstanding the standard setup?

Thanks

Nasher.

8. Is it an oilway or water? Just a thought they might be watercooled barrels

9. Hi, and thanks for replying.
    Definitely oil.

Some research I've now done sort of suggests this is a mod carried out when external oils lines are run between the head and barrel. I'm not doing that, so I think I'll get some standard restrictor tubes and drop them in.

Unless somebody has a really good reason why I should convert to external lines of course?

Thanks

Nasher

10. Hi all.

Next questions that I really should know the answer to.

Are the 600 and 900 Carbs the same? Just adjusted/Jetted differently.
    Also the Aluminium inlet tubes, are the 600 and 900 ones the same?

Thanks

Nasher.

11. Latest progress.
    PB130007.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  12. Great thread

Love those stands - please let me know if you spot another set..!

13. stands are funky
    they look like office chair legs (or something like )
    welded to pieces of box section that's drilled for mounting bolts

shame I don't have access to loads of office chairs anymore I could have knocked some up

14. They are useful, although before I use them again I'll weld a brace between the top and bottom to stop them flexing as the engine does get a 'bit of a bounce on' at times.
    Ideally I'd also weld a couple of braces from side to side, but then they'd be harder to store.

Nasher

15. drill hole in each one the weld a nut above hole then you have a bolt on brace removable for storage
    if tube wall thickness is sufficient you could just drill and tap tube instead of welding a nut on as its not really load bearing

16. I have external oil feeds on my Monster's heads, made by MBP and fed from a line fitted to where the oil pressure gauge normally fits.

Basically the oil gets to the heads quicker, I also fitted a higher flow pump (from DS1000) to get more oil circulating for better lubing/cooling.

Oil still goes to the jackets in the barrels but all of it then returns through the return lines instead of some going to up the heads, whilst the heads are fed externally (as per 916 models).

I blocked the oilways with a grubscrew to stop the oil flowing up and then used a solid dowel as a locating pin rather than the restrictor tubes.

Whether there is a really good reason to convert, I don't know? but I liked the way it works as it seems more positive and with an uprated oil pump I get more oil, quicker to the cams/rockers which can't be a bad thing.

MBP, California Cycleworks and others use them on tuned engines.

Mine;

[​IMG]

MBP pics;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Dukedesmo
    Many thanks indeed for that explanation, it's certainly something I will now consider.
    I've ordered standard restrictors from Stein Dinse, so will get the engine built up with them and think about your mod whilst I dry build the bike around it, then possibly do the mod whilst the bike is stripped down again for paint etc.

What Barrels are on the engine in the last pic?

Nasher.

18. I think the later versions of 900SS didn't have the oil jacket around the barrel (in which case the oil fed up only to the cylinder head).

Don't know why they changed this, presumably (at least in part) for cost reasons?...

19. Yeah the extra oil lines is worth doing if you're going all the way. Also consider fitting a second oil cooler, I think the rocker cover off a Monster has the upper mounting point for the second rad if you find one of those.
    Also consider the later carb float bowls - they have oil mounts on the bottom and prevent the dreaded carb-icing if you ride in cold conditions.
    I fitted an inline switch in the oil cooler line so that I could choose to route the oil to the carbs in the cold weather and to the second oil cooler in hot weather.
    If you are going to tune the motor a second oil cooler is pretty much a must as the 900 engines are at their thermal limit even with stock power.

• Useful Useful x 1
  20. Air Duck, Sev.

Many thanks for your help.

Unfortunately the engine has been pushed to the sidelines recently as I’ve been concentrating on the cycle parts, but have now spent the money on the stupidly expensive valve shims and can get back on with it.

As for the oil cooler I’ve been wondering what to do.
    I’ve not managed to find a Rocker cover with the mounts on, they just don’t appear to be available. I’m probably going to just TIG weld a length of Aluminium bar to one of the spare normal rocker covers I have, and as for the cooler itself I’ve been eyeing up the later ‘V’ shaped ones on ebay.

As with most special building though I need to get to a point where I can position it correctly with the fairing on etc, and that’s a long way off yet.

I can fully understand the comment about air flow, which is probably another reason for leaving the final decisions until I can position it to be most efficient. Perhaps an aftermarket cooler might be the best option when I’m ready to position it.

Nasher.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information