1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

620ie - Faulty Fuel Warning Light?

Discussion in 'Monster' started by Twin-pipe, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Just run out of petrol as I was stupid enough to rely upon the fuel warning light ....which didnt come on. Having parked the bike up and rocked it side to side to drain any last drops out the tank the warning light sparked up! (too damned late!)
    After long walk, filled up with 3 litres to get to the next petrol station and the warning light came on approx 1 mile down the road. I read that reserve for 15 litre tank is set at 3.5 litres so guess thats right
    Any known issues? Im guessing its likely to be the sensor as opposed to the light? Does anyone know of a way to test sensor other than to put another litre in to make light go out and wait for it to come back on again? I've lost faith in electrics and would prefer manual tap - you know where you are with a reserve tap!

2. I never trust them even if apparently working. Always do it by the trip, between 110 and 120 miles I fill up, the light usually does come on at the right time, but....

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Thanks for your reply, I guess Im never going to be 100% certain about it now - lesson learnt. (What was wrong with a fuel tap??) - I'd pay for the extra £5.00 if thats the only reason :)

4. When the light or the sensor failed on my previous M600, I didn't bother to repair it - just used the trip. Yes I remember the fuel tap with On, Off and Reserve (Up!) on many of my old bikes. It seems an unnecessary complication to add all the gubbins for a vacuum fuel tap, tank level sensor, warning light and all the associated wiring. They do all that, then don't put a gear indicator on a lot of bikes, which actually is useful. I'm always trying to find 7th on my M1000Sie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I would argue that a gear indicator is unnecessary - just another thing to go wrong. You should know the gear from the revs to speed relationship.

I always go by the trip on fuel. On my bikes, the low fuel light comes on ridiculously early, I just ignore it apart from a reminder to check the trip meter.

Dunno why the sensor should not work properly...

Do Not Sell My Personal Information