1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

696 Clutch issue

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by byrlord, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Ok so tried the above and
    Master seemed fine and bike run better with the correct engine oil init but still getting slip wen I hit a small bump as I’m accelerating or during accelerating hard after gear change with or with using the clutch.
    I’m going to change the clutch springs next and try that well I want to but I can’t find any clutch springs or heavier duty clutch springs on the web , can any one please point me in right direction for these.

2. failing this, if you do think it might help (stronger springs) you could pack out each spring with one, possibly two appropriately sized penny washers. If you do use 2 then would need to check by pulling in clutch after fitting to ensure springs have not become coilbound.

3. Ok that’s a even better idea
    I’ll dig some washers out and try that thanks

Failing that then I’ll get clutch plates

4. I think plates might ultimately be the answer, it's rare, but plates subjected to wrong oil or even if plates left unused for long periods with correct oil can lead to friction plates losing their ability to generate adequate friction.

5. Ok that makes sense as I think the bike sat for a while maybe 6-8 months
    Then I put incorrect oil in .

I did notice a difference wen I put correct oil in but maybe damage was already done.

Any ideas on good plates , brand and we’re to get them?

Thanks

6. well you know the deal with Ducati and clutch plates already I am guessing and it's downright criminal. There are at least two sources for non-original plates at lower prices but i'm not sure if your plates are same size as "common" type? like 748 etc?

EDIT not the same as above, here's a good start:-

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-M...209554?hash=item21473ea8d2:g:SqsAAOSwWo5bkQgS

and Newfren was the make I was thinking of, have used them several times and still cheaper than O.E.M:-
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-6...536338?hash=item2cecbf8892:g:1GUAAOSwzIJdA4hz

if you've got any qualms about aftermarket types then best stick with the originals but I think they are around £200 presently.

#26 Chris, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2019
  7. That’s a good price
    But on description it says ill need two standard plates ?
    Is that my worn ones ?

8. not sure, I shouldn't worry, you nearly always end up juggling stack height using old plain plates. always keep your old ones! :) particularly covet-able are the 2mm and dished plates (if they still have any "dish" left in them)

#28 Chris, Jun 23, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  9. Ok I thought I just take plates out and swop with new ones , do I have to measure them as well

10. right - not sure what you meant by "i'll need two std plates" as haven't read the description. When you buy non-original friction plates only for instance, then you will need to carefully build up the overall height of the combined plates but it's very easy and there are many threads on here on the subject.

As far I am aware, when it comes to fitting new Ducati O.E.M. standard plates on your totally standard 696 then yes, all you will need to do is replace old for new also checking there were no changes to spec over the years.

11. Ok thanks for all the info
    I’ll order some plates and go fishing Through here for a thread on changing them ,
    I’ll post the results

12. Hopefully you do have a couple of mm free play in your clutch lever before it starts to pull on the clutch??

13. Good point OR, nobody has thought to check this with owner yet.

#33 Chris, Jun 24, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  14. My 750 ss hada
    I changed the plates on my 750 SS and it didn’t help for long.
    The problem turned out to be mayonnaise building up around the clutch due to condensation.
    The cure was to avoid short journeys and to leave the oil filler cap off after a ride to allow water vapour to escape.

15. Hey guys

Went for a 300 mile
    Ride today and clutch was a lot better but still little slipping happening just either if I’m nailing the throttle and hit a bump or if I do a quick gear change and nail the throttle it slips , if I roll on the throttle thou it pulls right through to red line with no slip

The clutch lever is quite spongy and very soft so I’m guessing and Hoping it’s the springs.

I have no idea what size washer I need for the spring so I’m going to pull one out and take it to a shop to get correct size.

16. Hit a bump???
    Are you sure that’s not the tyre spinning??

17. I’m pretty sure it’s not the tyre spinning , as I hit a bump it slips and bounces off the limiter until I drop the throttle then roll it back on.
    A small pot hole can cause it.

18. Thats really weird, don’t understand that at all.
    When my SS clutch used to slip, it was most obvious when applying lots of throttle at low revs.

19. Yeh this has got a few people confused

At first I thought it was the master but I bleed it and wen pulling lever in on the return it squirted fluid right out the top so I New that it was returning fine .

20. And you do have a couple of mm free play in the lever??

Do Not Sell My Personal Information