1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

696 Clutch issue

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by byrlord, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Yeh there seems to be

But my bite point is very high up the lever and not much of it and the screw is adjusted all the way out.

2. That’s interesting.
    Sounds as though the stack height may be low, for whatever reason.
    Can’t remember if you’ve checked it and the number of plates

3. Nope I have not measured the stack height or counted the plates.
    Do I measure it in the basket ?
    We’re do I find the normal stack height size ?
    I mite as well do that while I’m attempting to put washers on the springs.

4. If you've adjusted the screw in the lever then it needs to be adjusted correctly otherwise return into the cylinder will be restricted; fluid expands when hot, cannot flow back to reservoir and clutch can slip. Same thing happens when the screw on the brake lever is adjusted incorrectly but with worse consequences.

Remove reservoir cap and GENTLY pull lever, there should be surface movement of the fluid (if you pull too quickly brake fluid will squirt up, be carefull!!) continue to turn the screw in until there is no movement when lever pulled.

Turn the adjuster screw back one full turn and that is the correct position and why the screw is set with adhesive on assembly.

#44 Rman, Jul 2, 2019
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. Ok I will try this but the clutch was slipping before I removed the glue and turned the adjustment screw.

I adjusted the screw for me bite position as I literally had finger tips of a bite point it was difficult to ride.

6. I doubt you can count them or measure in the basket but removing plates is no big deal, just use a telescopic type magnet, such as the ones you can get from Halfords.
    Be aware that preloading the springs will give you a heavier lever.
    See if you can find an online workshop manual

7. Ok I’ll have a look online for manual , my lever is light as a feather right now a little stiffer won’t hurt me aslong as it cures my slip

8. Light as a feather is not normal. Try Avanti Racing for springs.
    @antonye

9. Ok thanks I will have a look on there ,
    Yeh it’s really light and doesn’t feel normal

Do Not Sell My Personal Information