1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748/853 Build

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by zxrjohn14, Feb 2, 2019.

1. I purchased a very poorly 748 a couple of weeks back. It had been left outside under a non waterproof cover for a year and then put in a garage for 10 years, having not turned a wheel since.
    I've stripped every nut and bolt off it, cut the swingarm off with an angle grinder, stripped the engine down and the front cylinder has that much rust, the valves are seized solid.

I've since started putting it back together with 999 ohlins forks with 748r shoes and p4 34/34 calipers. I've got another swingarm and greased up the spindle and spacers.

New bearings EVERYWHERE!

Cleaned it all and touched bits up.

I'll machine the bottom of the barrels down by 2.3mm on a lathe to get the squish correct and i have bought a gasket set to replace every gasket and seal along the way.

It should be a nice job when done.

I'm planning an ohlins rear shock
    Single seat unit
    All red spray job, no number boards
    1997 decals
    :upyeah:

• Like Like x 6
  2. Pics mate

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Sounds interesting , any pictures

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I'll whack some up when I'm on my laptop and load some up to imgur.

5. Better to drag and drop them on here - if loading onto image sites they tend to disappear and spoil old threads :thinkingface:

6. When you mention machining the barrels, I presume you mean 916 barrels for the 853 build.
    Steve

7. Hi Steve.
    Yes I do.
    916 pistons, barrels and heads are being fitted.
    A piston wants to sit roughly flush with with the top of the barrel with no base gasket in, the 916 is 2.3mm below which would give no compression ratio at all.
    If 2.3mm is too much, a second base gasket will be put in to get the squish to 1.1 - 1.2mm. I think this will be safe.
    If the belts are too baggy once all this is done, I will make a slightly larger, 1.5mm should do it on the radius, can belt adjuster.

I've run through all scenarios in my head and have a solution to each problem I can see happening.

If anyone has any advice, it is truly welcomed.

• Like Like x 1
  8. @Exige I'll give it a go, thank you

9. It's a very nice engine when it's done, mine has been faultless .
    Steve

10. @Birdie did you get the big bore conversion kit or do the same as I'm doing?

11. It was the big bore kit, fitted by JHP.
    Steve

12. John Burrows from there has been really helpful, awesome bloke, I rang to enquire about an EPROM chip for this bike and we ended up chatting about what I'm proposing for 45mins.

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. I bought my engine used with all the build paperwork, after I had fitted it I told them at JHP what I had along with the exhaust,( they remembered building the engine,) they then burnt me an eprom chip from there library, once that was in I took the bike to Nelly at Cornerspeed to set the fueling and it's been faultless, revs all the way to the limiter with no flat spots or hesitation anywhere.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  14. before pictures

Screenshot_20190202-195125_Chrome[1].jpg

Screenshot_20190202-195132_Chrome[1].jpg

Screenshot_20190202-195140_Chrome[1].jpg

15. water damage

20190127_124318[1].jpg

• WTF WTF x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. the dead swingarm.
    i had to cut the notch out to get the grinder nut in.
    i really couldn't believe how solid this had gone!!

20190204_120101[1].jpg

20190204_120056[1].jpg

• Nuke Post Nuke Post x 1
  17. Others have had to do similar in the past, that's why I remove my pivot bolt every service and re-grease, it's a two minute job.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  18. A very good shout there, Steve. It will become part of my maintenance routine also.
    I've smothered everything in copper grease or lithium grease as I'm putting it back together.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information