1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748/999 Build

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Russ21, Oct 20, 2019.

1. Good point. I'll have a good look at the wheel to V piece measurement

2. Firstly the cat is amazing - we like cats :)

secondly, make a template off your tire like a mohican from the forks back round to the 3'oclock position and then offset that by your fork travel. that will give you a go/no go gauge to see if anything is going to tire strike in the worst case.

On the trailing edge of the tyre you want the line to be tangent to the tire at the angle of the forks. :)

you'll probably find that everything on there at the moment will kiss it bar about 10mm

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lovely, thanks. I'll give that a try and see how it goes. I think you're right, the tyre will clear the cooler, but only just.

4. Get a couple of mates...hold onto the clip ons and take the fork tops out and lower the bike to the stops..

5. just stay 2m away from them!

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. It’s not the coolerr it’ll hit.. it’s your spaced out v piece at the top above the cooler

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. All checked. Clearance is good

• Like Like x 4
  8. Can anyone help?

Do I have to run the 999 stick coils with the 999 loom? Or can I use my existing coils? (As in the picture) I'm a little unsure about the connections etc.

Screenshot_20200512-090124_eBay.jpg

#288 Russell, May 12, 2020
    Last edited: May 12, 2020
  9. Russell, The connection could well be the same as your OEM so might be worth checking and at the least ask the vendor if you can return it if it doesn't fit.

You don't have to run stick coils, the system doesn't recognise what coil in on there, just that one is there and working. The coils themselves don't have an ID embedded into them that the system can read for example. The only thing will be the impedance to ensure that it energises correctly.

The above system is far more reliable than COP systems which really are more for packaging and reducing part count than eanything else on non variable valve and ignition timing engines.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The coil packs are more efficient and reliable .. race bijes of that era certainly used then ... for ease of use I’d go with the sticks with a fly lead✅

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Think the early coils have 2 pins and the stick has 3pins.

Think the type/year of ecu used dictates.

• Like Like x 1
  12. One wire within the 3 might need grounding

• Like Like x 1
  13. Perfect, thanks Chaps.

14. As a side note, I checked the frame numbers yesterday, turns out that the frame I have is one of the 100 early 748S frames. Seems a bit of a shame to see the frame been cut about...

15. Was there any difference between the frames used for the 2000MY onwards 748S & E and the pre 2000MY bikes, apart from colour, silver & bronze gold respectively?

16. Adjustable head angle.

17. :upyeah:On all 748s bar the E version.
    I’m not aware there are any differences between the 748S frame and pre 2000 frames:thinkingface:

18. Agree, I think the s kept the adjustable head.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. Fitted some HEL braided brake lines and splitter this afternoon. Big thanks to Bettes for the parts. Really happy with them.

IMG_20200513_151822_950.jpg 20200513_150814.jpg

#299 Russell, May 13, 2020
    Last edited: May 13, 2020
    • Like Like x 5
  20. I see the frame lock stop has been involved in an incident of some kind.

Out of interest - why go for a splitter rather than twin full lines?

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information