1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748/999 Build

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Russ21, Oct 20, 2019.

1. It looks so much darker though, must be the light in the pics. I like it though, both on the SA and the fork bottoms, what is the paint please? TIA

• Like Like x 1
  2. Think it must be the light. I sourced the colour from a company called Bike Colours

https://www.bikecolours.com/

Really nice guy. Top quality paints with a massive library of colour matches.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Picked the frame up today. Looks fantastic. over the moon with the final finish. Was a little concerned when I heard the RAL code I chose can come out a little orange, however this has come out perfectly. Looking forward to getting the thing back together. Dropped the wheels off when picking the frame up. Wheels are going Satin Black :):upyeah:
    BAAABA0B-5C17-4EB0-892F-34FABD44594B.jpeg 43A55B79-A13F-44D2-AFF2-A1B6F57AC1E7.jpeg A0C23563-CDE8-4BFA-B1D6-AF64A5F3E7A9.jpeg

• Like Like x 10
  4. Gonna be a real beauty. Love it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Pulled my finger out this afternoon/evening. I’m back to a rolling chassis.

A745EC58-C0C1-470D-9541-94994FE3C610.jpeg

Can start with a few little odds and ends over the next few weeks, whilst I’m waiting for the wheels to be done. Still not sure whether to fit the 748 loom back in or keep looking for a 998/999 loom. Been told I can use the 748 loom to run the 999 engine, but I still need some clarification from a professional (absolutely not me :joy:)

• Like Like x 4
  6. 999 or 749 loom probably your best bet, I searched for a 998 and they are rare which when they do show means £££.
    People run the 1098 etc conversions on the old 16m ecus so that is a option but you don't have coil mounts anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Thanks Jon. I’ve got the coils cable ties to the frame, unless we weld tabs, that’s the best I can do.
    So I could use the existing loom and re-map the ecu? Ideally I’d like to keep the original loom, only because it’s all in the right place. I’d imagine a 749/999 loom would need some modifications etc

4C8C96DE-CB69-4B6F-B30A-5AB89DA19FC3.jpeg

9. Nice project...:upyeah:

10. Where were the coils originally mounted Russel? My 748 has mounting points for them on the cross member just ahead of the vertical cylinder. I’m just wondering why yours doesn’t:thinkingface:

11. Pretty sure they were attached to the cross member that was taken out to accommodate the 998 air box. If I had a welder, I’d of added some :worried:

Again, thanks for all the comments and interest :upyeah::)

12. Has losing that cross member made any noticeable difference to the handling or any discernible frame flex? I know the 748Rs had a revised cross member to accommodate a larger airbox but to remove one completely:thinkingface:. Just curious.

13. There are many different types of tube clamps that will help mount your coils - this one is the first I found in the USA but plenty of different types in varying tube sizes available... you would also be able to mount a frame brace too if you wished...
    https://house-tuning.com/collection...ght-bar-holder-tube-clamp-for-light-bar-whips

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. Why didn’t you copy the 748r 998 frame cross member ...

15. The frames weren't hugely different so I can't see there being major issues with fitment, the later ecu was better. No dicking about trying to sort the TPS difference or chip out or mounting of coils. I forget is it a track bike?

16. The cross member was cut away and a new brace fitted slightly lower, could well be in the same place as the 748R frame. There’s no noticeable difference in flex. All feels as it should :upyeah:

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. Unfortunately I didn’t do the frame mod. Was done about 12yrs back. I don’t think it’s too different from the 748R tbh. I think it could be pretty similar :upyeah::)

18. Started life as a road bike, then track bike. Now I’m putting it back on the road. Do you think I should keep an eye out for the later ECU?

19. 748r frame for reference mate

[​IMG] [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information