1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748/999 Build

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Russ21, Oct 20, 2019.

1. If you're putting it on the road a 998 loom would be the best way to go as you could use 998 throttle bodies which use the old tps and all the wiring for lights is in the same position so there'd be no messing about then, problem is finding one. Otherwise it may be easier to stick with the 1.6m loom but you'll need to sort out the chip, probably still use the 998 throttle bodies for the tps.

2. Ahh I see. Mines braced in exactly the same place... Pretty much. CAE3C739-5829-4523-9E15-01B44A2738CF.jpeg BCC06B6C-D72B-4B65-B08F-345B4F951580.jpeg

3. Ive been toying with a daylight MOT, but I’m not 100% sure just yet. I’ll have to give it some thought. May have to have a chat with regards to the best way of getting it all sorted. :confounded:

4. I've toyed with that myself but it creates more headaches than its worth, too much of a grey area for insurance and police.

5. I’ve run Day light MOT before on a couple of track bikes. I also got nicked and taken to court back in 03 on a Day light MOT. Got dragged through the courts and thrown out due to the copper not knowing his stuff lol. I got to know the rules and regs of the daylight MOT inside out.

I’m more confused about getting the thing running properly :joy:

#105 Russell, Nov 16, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
  6. Spent some time in the garage this morning, having a good look at the 998 air box and throttle bodies. Looks like the air box isn’t a 998 box, but some kind of bastardised thing, which obviously didn’t seal properly at all. It could be the cause of the flat spot in the Rev range. Not too sure.
    0DA2C039-C68F-4C0A-A200-959B975166A5.jpeg

I need to speak to the guy who originally did the conversion and ask why that air box was used. Ideally I’d like to replace with a carbon one, however I now need to know which one to purchase :confounded:

Removed the throttle bodies. If anyone can clarify that these are 998 throttle bodies, that would be great. Currently sitting on my office desk as a bit of an ornament :joy:

FBBC8CA3-BC2B-4BA7-BA9C-BFEDC9A96108.jpeg

#106 Russell, Nov 17, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 17, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  7. 999 throttles

• Like Like x 1
  8. Brilliant. Thanks Jon. I’m guessing the air box must be a mix of 999 and 748.

9. Looks like someone has cut the bottom of a 748-9xx one and then used the 999 bottom rather than just getting a 998 one.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Though that could be the case. I’ll pick up a 998 air box. I’m hoping the 999 throttle bodies will fit.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Probably used what he could get his hands on at the time. Still a good basis for completing the build properly.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Think you’re right. When the conversion was started, not may people had done it. I think a lot of it was guess work if I’m being honest.

13. I’m glad my wheels have found a good home :upyeah:

Not sure red on red works tbh. A black bike with red wheels and vice versa looks awesome though.

Red bike plus gold wheels looks great, but I don’t think you can beat a black bike with gold wheels, like the JPS F1 cars livery.

33393C19-3442-4FEB-9735-D9DB59C355CF.jpeg

14. Naaah...black on black (cue gratuitous shot of my old bitsa)

6CB56BFC-2BA9-4B9B-B0B7-AA1258E1E105.jpeg [

• Like Like x 3
    • Love You Love You x 1
  15. Dropped the wheels off at the powder coasters on Friday. Being done satin black

16. That looks great :upyeah: What’s the spec?

17. Cool. As someone else commented, black wheels go with almost everything

18. I think they’ll compliment the red frame and blend with the carbon bits I have planned :upyeah::)

19. 916SPS spec motor/P8 ecu and injectors Arrow 50mm system.
    DP slipper
    Magnesium Marchesini’s
    P4 calipers and HPK discs
    Maxton internals in fake Ohlins forks. Ohlins shock and steering damper
    Slab side race Fairings with single projector light and teeny-weeny LED rear light.
    Smattering of carbon in the usual places.
    DP rearsets.
    Other stuff that I have forgotten probably.
    Chucked me over the bars at 100ish at Brands in 2009 but crashed really well to end up as above.
    Sold it waaaay too cheap a couple of years ago...:joy::tired_face:

• Like Like x 2
  20. Sounds like a great bike. Shame to of let it go. You still on a duke?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information