1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Awakening

Discussion in 'Newbies Hangout' started by DD DucDave, Aug 10, 2017.

1. Ahhh cool, hopefully I can save some money with the tyres then.

No it's a monoposto S.

2. Pictures!!

3. 20170816_180612.jpg 20170816_180928.jpg 20170816_180636.jpg 20170816_180625.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  4. What the best sponge :splat::yum

• Like Like x 2
    • WTF WTF x 1
  5. Looks like an unmolested MY00 S, quite a rare beast if it checks out. Basically that model year is a MY00 748R chassis with 748E motor. Spark plugs are specified by Ducati as Champion RA59GC, although I would use non Iridium NGK equivalents. Make sure you take the tank off and dump the fuel, whilst you have the tank off you may want to check the fuel pipes in the tank and pump, change the fuel filter and get a new pump o ring. Don't believe anyone that tells you the S was fitted with an uprated engine. Only 20 UK spec Red MY00 Mono S were produced which is why it is quite rare. I am not sure if the monos of that period were fitted with proper mono seat sub frames (like the 748Rs) as the mono alternative sub frames are not listed in the parts books, your's looks to have a bip subframe (which may not be incorrect). If you want to find out more, engine and frame numbers can be sent to Ducati for confirmation of what it was and when it left the factory. It was almost certainly built in 2000 and falls right into the period when the rocker suppliers were have quality issues, you mention having the rockers 'done', do you mean clearances checked or replacements fitted?
    If you look after this bike it will not depreciate.

#26 Denzil the Ducati, Aug 17, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2017
    • Like Like x 3
  6. Oh wow that's interesting cheers @Denzil the Ducati . So do you think my could be one of the 20 red mono s? No the rockers were replaced at great unexpected expenses. But even though they have been replaced, would the replacement rockers be stronger than the original Ducati rockers. Or will I still need to keep an eye on the rockers?

I guess it would be a BIG no no, to fit smaller indicators and start to change bits?

7. :scream::punch::punch:

8. Get the frame and engine numbers to Ducati and they will confirm, note my edit "one of 20 MY00 Red UK spec Mono Ss" is still quite rare and there may be only a few of those 20 left. It is possible it is a bip with a mono seat conversion but Ducati and your V5 should indicate what it was originally registered as. You might be interested in this https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk/?q=ducati+748 which is based on the type registration listed on the V5. Some of the monos will be registered as a "748S", if it is listed on the V5 as a mono you can see there are very few indeed
    The replacements are much less likely to fail, I have a MY02S bip with nearly 40k on the clock with all original rockers on a bike that was built in late spring 2001. You need to use the proper quality oil and always let the engine run for a minute or two before driving the bike and let it get up to temperature before giving it the beans. Don't run the engine for short periods during the winter "to charge the battery" but do keep the battery charged with regular (weekly) use of an optimate
    Its your bike you can do what you want, all I would suggest is don't make any permanent mods and keep the original bits safe. There is a bonus with aftermarket bits in that it preserves the oem bits for the future refitting in good condition if you sell the bike on. Consider that the bike is now 17 years old and the richest market for a 17 year old 748 is now becoming a collector who will be looking for, and pay a premium, for an unmolested example.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. WOW that is surprising, I was just looking for a 748, didn't realise there were so many variations, soooo excited, haven't got the log book to hand but can't wait to see what Ducati say.
    I think I will leave the bike's looks as it is, came out the factory beautiful so no point in changing it:heart_eyes:. Although I would like some red mirrors
    Cheers @Denzil the Ducati :cool::punch:

• Like Like x 1
  10. Right..... I havent been able to lay a spanner on the 748 yet. But I have managed to phone up Ducati and get them to confirm what I've got.

Using the reg check I've got a, 2000 748 biposto.
    But once they put the VIN number into the Ducati system it comes up as a ,2000 748s Mono!!!:party::grinning:

They suggested that as the bike left the factory,Ducati may of just labeled the bike as a 748. Not sure if that's true but i guess mine has slipped through some "computer check" net.

So looks like i need to get DVLA to change the log book details and leads me to the question. How many 748s Mono's came to the UK and how many are wrongly registered? :thinkingface:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Great news

12. Cheers Denzil, but yeah got one with the sale of the bike. Essential tool :yum

Do Not Sell My Personal Information