1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Engine Rebuild Guide?

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Masterharps, Jun 26, 2017.

1. Hi everyone

A couple of months ago I felt my bike trying to seize as I was going up a large hill. It was like having the back brake on, so I stopped Immediately. I knew in my mind that the big end shells would have taken a beating. I checked the oil just before I set off and knew I had a slight weep which I was getting round to sorting out.

I think being a bit low on oil and going up a steep incline this starved the big ends.

I decided to strip down the bike and come across many problems like removing the bolt that goes through the swing arm and the engine. It took 2 weeks of bashing with a sledge hammer and lots of WD40.

I have split the case and replaced many bearings, sent off the Crank for a Regrind and Baines Racing has helped me locate some new Big end Shells.

This has taken at least a month to get together so during that time I have painted the case. (looks great)

By the end of this week I am sure that the engine will be complete, Geoff from Baines Racing is going to set it up properly for me etc.

I was wondering if anyone would be interested in seeing pictures of my progress, not quite a guide but something to help other people?

I am also looking for some headlights as the left glass is broken (My dog knocked the frame off the paddock stand) or if anyone has a set with a broken right.

2. Everyone loves a good build thread.

• Agree Agree x 6
  3. Okay, I will work on it. I met you at the Super Sausage A5 not long ago. You were testing your mirrors.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Oh, that was you. Hey. Yeah on the 999, stripped off the OEM and went with the bar ends in the end.

5. Putting his lippy on?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. We love loads of piccies on here.

7. They must've been broken. Every time he looked in them, an ugly bloke was looking back at him.

8. yeah that was me it was about 10 months ago. I didn't think it was that long. How time fly's. Your happy with your mirrors then.

9. Yes mate. Not perfect but a lot better and the OEM look God awful (IMO). And my indicators are cool as.

10. Looking forward to seeing your rebuild

11. Thanks, I got my crank back last week after a thermal coat and regrind. Its 80% done

12. Thanks, I got my crank back last week after a thermal coat and regrind. Its 80% done

13. thermal coat? ceramic?

14. I just thought I would let you guys know that I rebuilt the engine and got it in. It passed its MOT yesterday and has been running sweet for the last hundred miles. I have a lot of photos etc on about 3 different phones so need to collate and try and put something together. I'm not a mechanic, didn't have many special tools and didn't get much help so I am very proud.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Sweet bikes with appropriate power for the roads? this bike is my second favorite riding bike, you reassembled an entire 748 engine and it runs Sweet?
    what are you? many Ducati mechanics, cant always do that? belts, shims? look forward to your build photos? Breakout

16. thermal coat? whats that? Ceramic

Do Not Sell My Personal Information