1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Expansion Tank

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Birdie, Aug 5, 2014.

1. I did preasure test it just before my off, I had two slight leaks one was on the corner which I ground out and re-welded myself the other was around one of the spigots which was to delicate for me to attempt so a mate did it with tig, I preasure tested it with an airline and bucket of water too the point the release cap opened, perhaps I should seal that up and try a little more preasure?
    Steve

2. im not sure what the caps blow off at, 1.1/1.2 bar i would imagine? id get it up to pressure and scrutinise every inch of it for even the smallest champaign bubbles.

thumbs up.

3. you are joking right? four litres of boiling water, held at around a bar of pressure, right between your legs and on a 916/748 just under the fleshy bit under your helmet? dont take any risks with this.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Too much information methinks... :eek:

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. A bar is very little pressure in the realms of pressure vessels! I work with this stuff all the time, if thin always leaking plastic can hold it then 2-3mm aluminium can with no problems! If the plastic leaks then it just squirts out a fine mist, nothing more, there is no explosion!!! Perspective please!

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. The thought of escaping super heated water/steam at any pressure is no fun.

7. Well perhaps you should replace your dodgy, prone to bursting plastic tank then... ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. It's the price +post and import tax that made me attempt my own.
    Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. I have :Smuggrin:

• Like Like x 1
  10. If you fancy making a couple more I'll take two?

11. Start of a cottage industry?

12. Just an update, the tank has been on for a while and worked fine but I haven't been happy with the angle of the spigot my mate welded on so today I have removed the tank and fitted a new spigot which should be much better, as I now have a tig I tidied up a couple of welds while I was at it, just got to preasure test and then refit.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  13. Please don't open that can of worms again. It has divided opinions and the discussion got quite heated. No pun intended. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  14. My apologies, I'd not seen that discussion before and I thought I was offering a practical solution. It kind of defeats the point of asking people for their suggestions in an open forum though?

15. It was not my intention to offend, I forget that we have new members joing on a daily basis who will have missed the agony of witnessing the intense division of opinion. Andy

Do Not Sell My Personal Information