1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 748 New Battery £45 Bargain

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Ducatijones748, Apr 18, 2021.

1. After 14 hours on the Cteck now at level 3 charge. Not looking too good.

[​IMG]

2. that's a shame Jez, I haven't got a sophisticated charger but mine both came up as normal but will see how long they hold their charge etc, you can look at the cells and see a difference in colour between them, also trapped air that doesn't look right. My "Activation Dates" on box are 04 and 07 month of last year.

3. Just returned the battery for a £45 refund and then re bought it for a tenner. Its activation date is January 2020, I ll take a chance on it for a tenner.

4. My activation dates were April and May 2019!!!! If the battery has never been charged over that time properly then It looks like mine will be going back. I tried boost charging my two batteries to see if they would "wake up" and barely anything happened. It seems they were a bad buy and, certainly in my case, I don't think Halfords should have even contemplated selling these at all.

I doubt this has done their reputation much good, and certainly not in my eyes.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  5. As a follow up, I have now managed to get both batteries to over 13 volts and they now boost charge. The only thing left to do now is to see whether they can hold a charge for a while, although I somehow doubt that they will, in which case I'll probably take them back at the weekend.

This hasn't been a straightforward experience and Halfords are a disappointment to me at the moment.

6. As a final follow-up, the boost charge (over 50 amps) seems to have worked, at least overnight. I was recording 12.5 to 13.00 volts on the two batteries after leaving them fully off charge overnight.

I am going to boost charge them a few more times to check progress and so far there may be a slim chance I can recover both batteries. This might be the way forward, but I realise not everyone has a starter charger that can boost the batteries.

7. Mine is holding steady at 12.6v after CTEC charge for a couple of days.

8. Had mine on charge for a week while I was away using an ancient Optimate, came home and it says it still on weak. Just borrowed a normal car/bike charger and its 1 bar away from full now and showing 14.5V. Will it work..... not sure.

9. You have 30 days, so try a few things!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information