1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 748 Rebuild - Any Tips

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by keith_henson, Feb 16, 2021.

1. Holy sh*t, it came out with a just a gentle tap. I was dreading it after the rear suspension linkage was well and truly welded (heat gun, rattle gun, hammer, wooden block.... The job lot!)

One very happy man! And the front sprocket came off in one easy go......im off to the pub to celebrate. Oh hold on

20210220_115121.jpg

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  2. You’ve swam the channel getting that one out with a few taps Keith. It does look remarkably fresh though. I had one come out like that and the rest were a complete bitch to remove.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Lucky bastard, I smashed my thumb in once cos I was getting pissed off bashing the fooker. Good on fella, keep it well greased when it goes back in and jobs a gud’n :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  4. I think it's the only part that has been cared for on it..... Or the absolute mass of grease on it might have been its saving grace sealing it off from the real world. I didn't escape unscathed, even with my gloves on, I have multiple nicks, crumpled fingers from hammers, picking up the nut that the blow torch had been on (ouchy), burning a hole in my posh garage carpet from that nut being dropped, smacking my head on the frame (twice) and kneeling on a chuffing tiny bolt that made me roll over and into the foot peg of the 1200rt (right in the small of my back). Need some more space!

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Hi Keith,

With regards to your rear shock, I had someone replicate the Showa decals/stickers to replace my knackered ones years ago. The guy whipped up two sets, I should have a spare set (below) hidden in the garage some where if you're interested?
    20150618_193427.jpg

You can see that the mirror finish is not a perfect match, but they were a massive improvement on the ones I removed and with a freshly powder coated spring, made my shock look like new again. You're more than welcome to my spare set.

Great to see the pics too

6. Yes please Rob, they would be most excellent.

Whilst I'm here. How the chuff do you get this apart? A square edge bar fits perfect but it just turns. The Haynes manual doesn't have anything on it either for removal.

Help????

Many thanks

Keith

16140112792912243050525815271603.jpg

7. upload_2021-2-22_16-34-2.png

should jsut be the securing screws on the outside of the frame mate

8. Ahhhhhhhh, never thought of doing that.

Thanks

9. check your PMs mate

• Like Like x 1

10. Hello,

SX Next (Southern Cross Next). I work for Alcatel Submarine Networks and we are installing a subsea fibre from Bondi beach to Aukland, to Fiji and the Tokelou Islands, finally ending up at Hermosa Beach in LA. Alas I can't get anywhere near down there due to covid restrictions....but if they open the doors by June I'll be off down there like a rat down a drainpipe :)

11. They are generally great bikes to work on due to how easy everything comes apart. The swingarm pivot on mine came out with no bother and changing the steering bearings is so much easier than other bikes because the whole assembly comes out so you can do it on the bench.

Just working on the rear cylinder exhaust valves that's a bastid of a job...

12. Nope. Not for me. I'll just make the coffee and sit back and watch a pro do the work

13. Small update. The 748 frame is back with me today and the wheels Monday with new diablo corsa rubber on them. Love the colour I have to say.

Next stop, paint work on the engine block to get rid of most of the pitting and corrosion and then I can start putting it back together.

Keith

20210505_155955.jpg

• Like Like x 9
Do Not Sell My Personal Information