1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Sps, Is There Any Hope ???

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by Per748, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Sad to see that. If my old 916BP had that happen, I'd be utterly distraught. Buy it back cheap and then use it as a long term project.

"Gentlemen, Per can rebuild her. Per has the technology. Per has the capability to make the world's first bionic 748SP. Pers 748SP will be that bike. Better than it was before. Better...stronger...faster."

2. Is a bike I feel it is fubarred but, if you bought it back for sheckles and sought a very long term project based on love for that particular bike then whatever floats your boat

3. Hej Per
    With a bit luck you will have two yellow twins as well :D

4. Per, That is such a crap thing to happen, especially as it was just in the wrong place at the wrong time. I'm sorry dude.

Anything metal will probably be fine, but anything else will need replacing from the bearings up. But it'll be a ground up restoration that's for sure.

The insurance company will write it off no questions asked. The price of a new loom and plastics alone will be over the 'book' value of that.

As everyone else has said, its not for the faint hearted, its a proper restoration in every sense of the word, not just a neglected eBay bike with a seized calliper and fucked bearings.

If it were me, I'd first decide if you wanted to take this on.

If yes, then on the plus side, your entire rolling chassis is still sound by the look of it, and your tank is intact.

So...

if it were me, I'd be a mug and see what can be salvaged. I did it with my old SS when that got written off. However it was a cat D.
    I'd start by taking all the plastics off and melted stuff and seeing exactly what you're dealing with and adopt the @bootsam mentality in his post above.

It'll cost you a fair amount, and also it's going to cost you a fortune in exasperated fucks as well, but the satisfaction at the end cannot be bought.

The Ducati dealership will just price everything up and then say to the insurance company that its beyond economic repair.

5. Well.
    Last week I was contacted by the Insurance Company.
    They just got pissed about the police, never showing up and release the bike.
    I was asked to send them Pictures, and just by looking at the Picture, the bike was written off.
    There was no hope for it, after a few days abt. £6400 dumped into my account.
    I tried to buy the wreck for a reasonable price, but the Insurance Company had decided that this bike should never see the road again. It's already handed over to a breaker.
    Too bad since spare parts for this bikes will be difficult to find.

I bought a MY99 748 SPS for abt. £3800 With low milage (38000 km), in the need for a main service and New set of tyres.
    It was not possible to have a full service before late August, so I decided to do the belts my self, change all the fluids and fit some New tyres..
    Filters was replaced last year.
    The rear suspension was stuck, but after taking it apart, cleaning and greasing it's working again.
    The Ohlins rear shock will have a full service in a few weeks, since it's swetting.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Great to hear that you’re almost back on the road.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information