1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 Tappet Type Sound From Engine

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Pidge1969, Jun 21, 2019.

1. Taking a look wouldn't hurt.......

2. Ok so i did manage to make a recording whilst out tonight. The sound is there when i rev the engine (or am riding) irrespective of clutch being in or out. You can hear it on the recording when i pulled over on the road and held my phone near the engine area - it just sounds a little metallic to me - might be normal but as i said i have nothing to compare it to. Only thing is i can't upload as the forum does not permit the file type (apple voice memo recording) - so i need to think of a workaround - unless any of you have suggestions i could try please?

3. Here is a link to my engine noise - i think i ca hear it from about 40 seconds in (when i have stopped on the roadside and rev the engine) - it just sounds a tad tinny/tappet sounding - as i said it might be normal id just appreciate what others think.
    https://soundcloud.com/mark-panter-641664737/748-engine

4. Sounds normal to me, I can hear exhaust noise, intake roar and the clutch plate rattle although the latter is extremely quiet imo, Ive heard much noisier ones, (my Monster for example) but that all sounds the same as my 748. See what others think

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. I haven't listened to the recorded sound as I have always found I cannot make out what others hear
    I would check your alternator but before riding much further

• Like Like x 1
  6. It’s always a good idea to check everything I agree but to do this involves draining the oil, removing the alternator cover, checking tightness, getting tribond, or whatever it’s called, and reassembling. The flywheel/alternator nut coming loose is not an issue on 99 onwards bikes. The whole magneto assembly is different under their covers to the pre 99 bikes, a change made due to the known problem. IMO it’s not necessary to make that check on this bike but each to their own.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Idle sounds pretty normal but there does seem to be something there when revving.
    Could it be the ticking sound you get from escaping compression- perhaps a slightly loose plug?

• Like Like x 1
  8. Try using a rubber tube as a stethoscope to see if you can narrow down where the sound is coming from

• Useful Useful x 1
  9. Engine stethoscope might help to locate the area of the noise, most car accessory/tool places sell them quite cheaply.

10. Great minds?

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Yep it’s a metallic tick in time with the revs, I can hear it when riding but doesn’t seem to affect power/performance. Think I’ll take it to St Neots Bikes and get them to have a listen and ride.

12. I did think am I imagining this or is this really just the normal sound as it’s not deafening just seems to be there in time with the engine. I can’t hear it at idle. Just when riding or as per the sound file when revving a bit.

13. I am afraid you are wrong. There were/are problems with the nut coming loose on post 98 bikes. Furthermore you do not need to drain the oil Having had it happen it is wise to check frequently if you don't it will wreck your crankshaft

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. I stand corrected Higgy and thanks. As a matter of interest how do you check the torque of the flywheel nut without removing the crankcase cover? Through the small inspection cover? TIA

15. Cover off, need to lock flywheel. Not as bad a job as it sounds especially for the peace of mind it will give whatever you find.

16. You have to remove the cover you just don't need to drop the oil. Lean the bike over that's all. You don't need to lean it very far.

• Useful Useful x 1
  17. A screwdriver with the handle put to your ear is just as effective

• Agree Agree x 1
  18. Not if it’s escaping gasses but yes if it’s a metallic knock

19. Is there a magnet on the drain plug ? You could check that if so.... or cut the oil filter open, then cut out a section of filter paper and squeeeeze the oil out of the paper in the vice or press, Inspect for signs of any metal with with a magnifying glass and a good strong magnet to pick up any material.

Breasted

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. I've not heard the sound file but a metallic noise sounding like tappets / cam can be from an exhaust manifold leak (loose stud or similar).

Ask me how I know.... after changing the cam shaft on my old XR2 :thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information