1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 748 Tidy Up

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Roadtrip, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Cheers chaps, i didn't think they were metal with the heat from the pipes,

• Like Like x 1
  2. I'm the old rider here... ;)

#22 Old rider, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  3. I cleaned off all the grease/dirt then a brass brush to get the loose paint off first,
    All painted in the frame masking tape and newspaper come in handy, also a bit of paint sprayed in the paint lid and brush a bit here and there, its not a perfect match but good enough and a 100% better then it was.
    Nearly forgot if you smear a bit of grease over the bolts/nuts etc that are awkward to cover,the paint will not stick to them so you can wipe it off.

• Like Like x 1
  4. No etch primer then.
    Basically using spray with a little brushing.
    Looks good

5. Hi Chris
    Yes clutch is on the list, i want to take all the plates out and have a look and a clean up, its getting there.

6. I recommend the quiet clutch mod but you may be one of those who hears a chattering clutch as music and is happy to replace friction plate and basket at regular intervals

7. Sorry Old rider, yes no etch primer just straight on with the Hammerite two coats, I've used it on other bikes before swing arms etc good stuff.

8. Hammerite do recommend their own aluminium primer, which I imagine is etch primer if you are going to use it on aluminium. Steel is fine.
    It would be interesting to hear others' experience of Hammerite straight on aluminium

9. Like the chatter myself, never taken one out before, but will take each plate out and put on a coat hanger to keep them in order but i know i will be asking a few questions for sure,

10. Hang them on the foot peg as they come out

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. All done with Hammerite no primer,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. If you want it to start enthusiastically, rather than reluctantly, you need to get a cable kit from @Exige and make sure you team it up with a strong battery

13. +1 for quiet clutch mod. It made my clutch lighter and also stopped a annoying graunching sound when pulling away quick. Basically all I did was to change one of the two steel plates at the back of the stack with a old worn friction plate. 15 minute job and a mega difference. The steel plates are between 8 and 9. I'm sure the clutch on your 748 is similar if not the same as the one on mine. There's tons of info on here about it.

image.png

• Like Like x 1
  14. Have thought about his cables, had good results i hear

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Looking good.
    I did try Hammerite straight on the aluminium supports of a Thule roof rack many years ago and it didn't stick for long. Yours seems to have lasted ok though.

16. I sold the KR-1s a couple of years ago and the paint is still in great shape,

17. Cheers Chris,
    I didn't know it could make the clutch lighter,

18. Latest forum member I know of to fit them is @Nelson.
    I think he was very pleased.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. It's made mine lighter but I have fewer plain plates than standard, which reduces the preload on the springs and cleaning and lubricating the pushrod helps reduce the effort required to pull the lever as well.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Been going over the receipts for the bike,
    In 2008 the owner put an MPL Tuningparts aluminium clutch basket on with new plates and then sold it to a new owner also in 2008 who did 2000 miles in 7years, then i got it in Sept 2015 so all in the clutch has done 2700 miles since fitted in 2008.

I know they rattle but i would like to listen to another 748 to compare noise, noise goes away when clutch lever is pulled in and you are left with just the usual dry clutch noise, i think may be just plates making more noise with an aluminium basket?
    Sure its one of these,
    MPL Clutch basket Aluminum/Ergal for Ducati 748 749 851 888 916 996 998 999 ST2
    Mine,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Do Not Sell My Personal Information