1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 748 Tidy Up

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Roadtrip, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Now i have finished the KH project i am picking up on the last few bits,
    Changed the brake fluid pot as old one was split around the nuts which the lid screws on and new fluid so job done but have got a new bolt on order which holds the pot to the little bracket as it snapped so drilled it out and put a tap down the thread.

Ordered new air filters which should be here this weekend as old ones look knackered and when you touch them they start to crumble.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  2. Out in the sun for a spit and polish, now mot time.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 7
  3. Looking good, mate. :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. Past mot today :upyeah:
    Next job will be new fluid for rear brake and adjust as wasn't up to much,
    I got the bike last October and not ridden it much only 3 short journeys as i had been finishing my Kh250 rebuild and tidying up the 748,
    but I'm thinking of checking the alternator nut for peace of mind and would like to know is it a long job or a few hours.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Alternator nut is quite a long job if you do it properly as you should disassemble/remove the rotor and make sure the thin washer has not slid off the step on the crank.
    This is what causes the problem in the first place.
    You need to hold the rotor and undo the nut which is a bastard of a job if you haven't got the proper holding tool.
    I did it with a strap wrench and a manual impact driver but there was a lot of swearing involved.

6. I thought the rotor was "solid" on my 916SPS that I did it on...my memory is slightly hazy on this though.
    But yes, that's the nut.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Nicol engineering in the States do a replacement of two thin nuts which lock together to solve the problem

8. Thanks Old rider i will see if i can find them and have a look.

9. Yes, sorry, never can remember exactly how to spell Nichols in that context - so many different forms of that name :/

10. Cheers for the tip,

11. Another little job off the list, (Speedo rubber mounts)
    Someone had glued two of them back together and one is split, no more movement now :)
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  12. Bu++er I was expecting a bit more.
    Steve

13. There's always a bit more,
    New oil pressure switch
    Quite clutch mod
    Oil/filter
    Fuel filter+fuel hose's
    Plugs
    Its getting there :upyeah:

• Like Like x 5
  14. Another one of the list,
    Changed the clutch fluid hose+ clips,
    Clutch slave was leaking (of course) so new piston kit, spring and rubber dust boot.

I did think about an Oberon slave but wanted to keep it original so hopefully it won't leak again for a long time.
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  15. Brilliant - these bikes are great!!

16. Fitted a set of Dzus fasteners today, i did have a spare new one but when fitted it made the rest look grubby so ordered a full set, not cheap but look great.

17. Had the common coolant bottle leak which had split opposite the front petrol tank pin mount and had been leaking down the outside of the airbox then down to the bottom of the fairing and also a bit had worked its way into the airbox from around the rubber petrol tank mount,
    Good to get in there for a clean up.

New coolant tank fitted and topped up with 1/2 a litre and run up to temp and all good, just need to take it out for a ride,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  18. Another job of the list new tyres old ones were not worn just very old and hard, so Michelin pilots fitted and good to go, 40 miles on them so far. also picked up another paddock stand this week.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 5
Do Not Sell My Personal Information