1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 748 Tidy Up

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Roadtrip, Feb 28, 2016.

1. You 748 is looking mint mate. I love it..They look like Michelin pilots 2ct to me. A very underestimated tyre in my opinons. With plenty of grip from the start. . You should get on well with those mate. I've had a few sets in the past and i found the perform really well and take no time at all to warm up nicely. They even handle good in the wet but I guess you'll never find out about that !!
    Feel free to call me if you need them scrubbed in. I think a ride out is long overdue !

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Hi Chris
    A new set of tyres was on the list of jobs to do, I've been going out for rides in the evening as its a lot more quite around 8pm and it keeps me away from watching Coronation street :grinning:

3. The only problem with evening rides is the low sun...

4. Great job, you are inspiring me to get an old cleaner upper bike as a winter project. Something I have been thinking about for a while.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. I know what your saying especially when riding tree lined roads.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. I've seen the progress Paul has made on this 748 since he first got it, it looks like a totally different bike now and is in really good condition. Just need some different cans on it to sound better.
    All the little things he has done each time I go round and see it has turned it into a lovely standard bike, hope to get a spin on it soon too.☺

7. Yup, I had the same. They corrode together

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. I did the same to my front lights about 2 years ago and white powdery stuff hasn't returned. Totally agree it looks so much better. :upyeah:

9. Strange how it doesn't seem to come back but is there in the first place, could be from manufacturing maybe.

10. You could have a point there as it's a common problem with the 748/916 family. I simply used washing up liquid and a rag on the end of one of the other halfs wooden spoons ... worked a treat ... even the wooden spoon survived and she was none the wiser.

11. You could have a point there as it's a common problem with the 748/916 family. I simply used washing up liquid and a rag on the end of one of the other halfs wooden spoons ... worked a treat ... even the wooden spoon survived and she was none the wiser.

12. I read somewhere that there was a white powder substance given off by the heat from manufacture. Once cleaned off, gone for good. Mine hasn’t come back either after almost 3 years.

• Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. I have decided to look for a set of original painted wheels as mine have been resprayed a different shade and finished in gloss and when i had the new tyres fitted the paint has lifted in places around the rims and there is few patches of corrosion under the paint,

I found a great front wheel of which i am very happy with and was as described to me over the phone and in the photos. :upyeah:
    Have just taken the wheel weights off as i like to do it so i can be careful not to damage the paint, (as sometimes tyre fitters can be a bit heavy handed) wheel is now boxed up and i now need to find a very good rear one, then the bike is 100% original.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  14. Nice bin.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Passed its mot today, done 399 miles since last one o_O
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  16. Would it not have been easier to have your existing wheels resprayed?

17. Yes i have and still do but i know if there not exact it will bug me, as the ones on there now are a gloss finish and a lighter shade, if i lived near @Messer i would for sure pop over and take a look and use the same company and i couldn't send them there as i need to see exactly what the colour is like first before committing, if i do end up finding someone i will just get them sprayed and sell the front one on,

The front one i picked up is spot on to my frame,
    I saw your post for a possible paint code number not sure if one exists or its down to the sprayer to colour match but if you do get yours done and there good let me know :upyeah:

18. I couldn't get it exact, but it did look really good.

20. Not sure what happened there, my any photos ended up in the quote.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information