1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 748 Tidy Up

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Roadtrip, Feb 28, 2016.

1. In the thread about the 748 SP I’m building

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Dug up the paint codes I found, can't remember which one my painter used:
    Bronze = PPG code 339.7017 or RAL 1035 – finish with satin.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Next job is now here,
    The wheels that came with the bike have been resprayed and are gloss/lighter colour, i have been looking for a pair of originals for a while i picked up a great front and then a rear that was unused or been on a bike for a couple of miles but was just a bit darker but when both offered up to the bike was a good match so i thought that will do, then a matching pair came up with i think an original pair of tyres from back in the day on them which has kept the rims/wheels in great condition and had been stored for a very long time.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  4. Ducati racing wheel is quite rare.

5. Iam i right in thinking its early 916 only and not 748,

6. Didn't the 748sp have them too??

• Useful Useful x 1
  7. Regular early 748 strada had them also, or at least the one @FAB had a couple of years back (should have had that off him... d'oh).

IMG_4842.JPG

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. From my searching I believe that they only made the "Ducati Racing" rear wheels up until 1995. I have seen 97 bikes with them, but the date code said 95.
    I have not come across any with data stamps later than that, I suspect it was a case of whatever they had in the warehouse at the time.

9. Thats interesting my rear is stamped 96 with the elephant stamp also.

10. God damn it, do you know how many wheels I looked at searching for a "Ducati Racing" stamped 96 wheel and finally decided that they don't exist as all the 96 wheels I could find didn't have that stamped on them.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wonder if anyone else on the forum has one later then 96, So they made them from 94 -96 confirmed?
    I will put a photo up tomorrow.

12. And the 748 rear wheel is narrower, right?

13. Nope, its the same

14. Right, got a spot light on the date and i would say its 95 :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. There's always an oddity - my '98 916 has a 'Ducati Racing' rear wheel but, to clarify it wasn't originally supplied with it.

When I bought it the rear wheel obviously wasn't torqued up properly and so by the first (600 mile) service it had 'rocked' on the pins in the hub, knackering both the hub (pins were loose in the holes) and wheel (holes were ovalled).

Unfortunately this happened just before the Italians shut down for the summer and given that parts/bikes were not so easy to get back then it took weeks to get the replacement hub & wheel. When the parts finally arrived, the replacement wheel was a 'Ducati Racing' jobbie - must have been some new old stock knocking around in the warehouse.

That said the bike's been wearing Marchesini 10 spokes for the last 10 years that have transformed the way it turns as the originals weigh about as much as a bag of cement...

16. @Dukedesmo are your wheels alloy or mag mate?

17. Not sure which wheels you are referring to? the originals are the OEM aluminium and the Marchesini are are forged aluminium.

I looked at Mag wheels but there wasn't actually much difference in weight, whilst being double the price and with all the long-term problems associated with Magnesium I decided ally were better for me.

• Like Like x 1
  18. That was a bit of luck, funny you mention the brembos are heavy my son picked up one of them and also a Yam350 ypvs wheel i had and mentioned how lighter the Brembo is which it was, so the Marchesini must be great to ride with :upyeah:

19. Next tidy up job is here, following on with the wheels i picked up i now have the tyres removed and today have knocked out the old bearings and fitted new, I'm looking forward to the wheels being swapped over.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

When removing the bearings i had a look in the tool box and found a small woodwork drill bit which was perfect for the job as the cut out in the spacer lets the edge of the bit catch the bearing edge just right.
    For reference, the bearing is, 6005 2R SC3 i used Koyo.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Belts are now due, so will be ready for the summer :motorcycleduc:

• Like Like x 3
  20. I'll pretend I haven't seen you abusing that spade bit. :eyes: ;)
    Steve

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information