1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 748 Tidy Up

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Roadtrip, Feb 28, 2016.

1. Hi Re:- your wheels, my 748 was first reg on the 13/08/97 here's some pics of my rear wheel, I think mine's 97

It's nice to see somebody else knows a spade bit from drill bit

IMG_4580.jpg

IMG_4579.jpg

IMG_4578.jpg

IMG_4577.jpg

#141 gtg, Mar 7, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. Here you are, my V5 states mine is a 748S

IMG_4584.jpg

#143 gtg, Mar 8, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Yep thats a 97 a first for me

4. a dumb question how do we know if they are Mag or Alloy

5. Weight.

6. cookster you silly old sod that bit i knew, my wheels are still fitted, I was hoping there would be a number on the wheels and I've nothing to compare to, has any body got some info they can post, the weight of with tyres please, so we all can check our's

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. 748S' weren't introduced until 2000, so does that mean you're wheels were hanging around in the supply chain for 3 years? I would have thought not. Curious.

8. Another job off the list, belts changed today.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
  9. Looks like a very suspicious location

10. Hi Chris
    Yes i rode it over to Dan's:upyeah: and must say the bloody wind was very bad, worse I've ever ridden a bike in,
    Its the first time I've seen belts done and was good to look and learn a bit more, thats them done for a few more years.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. One job that needed doing was chain/sprockets so thats now done to standard set up 14/38 with a new retainer plate and bolts.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    After finally finding a pair of great original painted wheels they are now fitted, which make the bike look as it should when new and puts a smile on my face :) I'm so pleased to get the original look,
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Next job for this year/next winter will be rear shock,(depends on funds Ohlins) but probably rebuild the Showa.

• Like Like x 7
  12. E06FEBCA-09F3-45C2-96BC-E3F61CB7F9D6.jpeg It’s hard to beat the look of the standard three spoke wheel in gold. I submitted a picture of mine front and back to a bobbin manufacturer on EBay, he was just starting out back then some 9 years ago, still using the pictures today.

• Like Like x 2
  13. What make is the rear sprocket please, it doesn't look like the original, I like that polished steel look. TIA

14. Agree the wheels have a great colour/finish, were as the Grey I'm sure is more of a gloss finish. Do you still own the bike Chris.

15. Both sprockets are JT and its a DID chain,

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. It’s long gone sadly but still have a 996 and many 748 bits, probably enough to build an engine but I bet I never get round to it.

17. After a ride last Sunday went to park up on my drive and put my foot on the side stand and then lent the bike over and just managed to catch it as it would have hit the ground, a look at the stand and saw one of the bolts had been lost and the other half out, hate to think if the whole stand had fell off whilst riding,

Ordered a couple of new bolts, shame all new bolts seem to be silver and not have the original gold finish anymore.
    Been picking up a few small bits to fit, have all the sizes of the natural switch spacers to sort the light out? Got a new speedo surround very cheap and will replace the one on the bike now which has the alarm light drilled into it, (Bugs me that alarm light) and a set of nice white mudguard holders, front and rear petrol tank rubbers.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  18. Thank Goodness that you caught it, in more ways than one, and that crankcase threads not damaged as they often are if left loose/undetected for a while.

• Agree Agree x 3
  19. Hi. Just seen this thread and will read it all from the start having just acquired my own 748.
    Thanks!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information