1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

916 748 V 916 Sprockets

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Thecoke1, Sep 30, 2017.

1. Hi Guys,

I'm just about to replace both sprockets (and obviously the chain) and I wanted to check if the 748 and 916 are identical fitments, as the website I'm looking at are charging more for 916 than 748 sprockets?

As always, thanks for the advice.

Bob.

2. Standard the 748 has a 520 chain and matching sprockets, the 916/996 has a 525.
    Steve

3. Isn't the 748 14T front and 916 15T front as standard?

4. Thanks guys, exactly what I needed.

Cheers,

Bob.

5. 748 and 916sp have 14 front all others in the range have 15.
    That's the info I have.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
  6. Some use a 520 chain and sprockets on what was an originally a 525 sprocketed bike but most of these are using them for racing or trackday purposes.

My quick change sprocket carriers for my rear sprockets, between my bikes which use 520 and 525, does have thicker sprockets when using a 525 chain so I would guess, or assume, that there is a difference between the front sprockets as well.

If it was my choice, and I was using the bike on the road a lot, I would go for 525 for extra potential life and strength.

Changing gear ratios is of course something else you can consider. I go up one tooth on the back sprocket of all my bikes to lower the gearing for easier road riding, others will cite different combinations depending on preference.

7. Thanks for the advice. I was going to go for a 525 chain with standard 15T front sprocket and one or two more teeth on the rear to improve the road characteristics. As I've only recently returned to bikes after a 20 year gap I feel I need something a little easier in traffic and I think you've confirmed that I'm on the right track. I'm also going to go for a rear sprocket carrier but I want to use Renthal sprockets, however, the JT carrier is much cheaper than the Renthal equivalent. Does anybody know if the sprockets / carriers are interchangeable (the Ebay sellers say they are)?

Cheers,

Bob.

8. I use Talon carriers on my three bikes two 748's and a 998. I find these neater and have collected a number of sprockets via eBay for good money in the past.

I believe JT and Renthall are interchangeable but personally, I don't like the stud fitting on them and prefer the Allen key fixings on the Talon sprockets.

Each to his own, however. Talon will make any size sprocket you require and like the others, they do have the lip to protect against potential damage caused by the breakup of the cush drives and consequent rubbing against the hub.

9. I can't find a Talon carrier for sale anywhere, could I please ask where you sourced yours from so I can compare prices etc?

10. 14t front sprocket on the front was one of the best things I did to my 916.
    Much better to ride.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Im with Mark. Ive a 14T on my 916 and its much better round the houses.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information