1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For Sale 748r 02 (2001)

Discussion in 'Ducati Bikes For Sale' started by Sean748R, Jul 21, 2019.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Just had a belt & oil change on the 916 at my local for a total sum of £345:upyeah:
    (belts/oil/labour)

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  2. Send it via a bike courier, £200 round trip still under £500 = 50% saving off your current quote!

• Like Like x 1
  3. The clue is in the word "local":upyeah:

4. I know the invoice value for my full monty with Baines when i first got my MY02 748r about 3 years back was less than 1600 inc vat including new clutch basket, clutch pack, valve clearances, belts, fluids, a couple of rockers, fitting and balancing tyres etc etc

gratuitous pic time

IMG_20170224_141916_hdr.jpg

• Like Like x 5
    • Love You Love You x 1
  5. PM'd you sir:upyeah:

• Love You Love You x 1
  6. jesus whos paying that much for servicing !!, I had my 996sps belts and full service for £500.

• Like Like x 1
  7. The uninformed of the South East....... apparently :mad::mad:

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  8. bought it yet? blink and youll miss it :joy::joy::p

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Whoa, what a lot of posts since I last looked!

I’m clearly not as Ducati-experienced as most of you guys but I didn’t think belts would deteriorate seriously when the bike spends 99.9% of its time in my garage and does so few miles. As far as I’m concerned, if Geoff hasn’t recommended changing the belts when the bike’s in for servicing, that’s good enough for me. Having said that, I don’t expect him to have to phone me up if it’s been a year or more since the last service, so maybe I should have had a service and belt change before selling.

The main bearing failed in April 2017 at 15,355 miles and Geoff stripped the engine, replaced the alternator cover, both main bearings, big end shells, LH crankshaft drive gear, battery, clutch basket and discs, and spark plugs. There’s no mention of a belt change in the invoice so either he changed it but didn’t itemise it (unlikely I’d have thought) or he didn’t think it needed doing. I rode gently (under 5,000rpm) for the next 500 miles and then got an oil and filter change. I’m happy to show all the servicing paperwork to anyone who comes to inspect the bike.

Out of interest, it would be good to hear how often any of you who do low mileages have the belts changed.

• Like Like x 1
  10. It will have had the belts changed as part of that above, but even still thats 4 years and still need doing. I do few miles, but still have them done every couple of years..

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Low mileage non R bikes I change every 2 years.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. The shims will need doing at 16k. Has he invoiced you for that on the rebuild?

13. Much appreciated Phill748. I realise I'm surrounded by real aficionados (aficianadi?) here, so your advice is very welcome. I wasn't trying to say that a 748R doesn't need belts changing every X miles/years, just that I trust Geoff at Baines Racing to do it when he thinks it's needed. I've had smaller Hondas and a Kawasaki before (way back in my 20s/30s) so I'm not a beginner but I can see that a 748R is (of course) in a different league both in terms of performance and maintenance needs.

• Like Like x 2
  14. She's a beauty!

15. The shims were done in 2008 at 7,126 miles.

16. Thanks for taking it with the intent it was meant, much appreciated! just trying to look out for you and make sure you find a buyer who doesn't try and trip you up and likewise you don't end up frustrated if someone pushes you on that point. Personally with reference to low mileage bikes, I'm in this situation now where strictly I should do the belts but I've done 1500 miles so trying to just ride it smart until the end of summer to then get the belts done. The difference for me is that the 'R' engines were really pushed to the limit in terms of compression and valve lift and so tend to be really hard on belts. If I was buying it I would just have that in my mind, that said... at £8500 I don't think you are being greedy, if you were at £9500 I would say you needed room to negotiate but not there.

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  17. Whilst mine is a 998, the belts are changed every two years. Had them changed five times now, and done 1500 miles in the 8 years I've owned it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Personally with the Kevlar belts you can purchase now I have been recommended every three years if low mileage on a non R - but an R I would do on time - expensive engine rebuild just to save a few quid over 12 months - and last change on 1098SF was £470 incl plugs and filter

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. Great looker the 748R :cool: and this has had a rebuild with the invoice from a very good establishment :upyeah::upyeah:
    All the best with the sale.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. Sorry, think I mis-read your question. No, nothing about the shims on the invoice for the rebuild.

Corbett, PaulPhillips, Messer, AirCon, RC1, Phill748, final_edition, Archermav, brettski & any others I may have missed - many thanks for sharing your service regimes/recommendations with me. I’ve decided to get a full service done asap (while bike mechanics aren’t busy ) including belts and shims, to take away any doubts potential buyers may have.

…which means a lovely run up to Silverstone soon

• Like Like x 4
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Do Not Sell My Personal Information