1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 748r Light Refurb, Well, It Started That Way.....

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Expat Jack, Sep 23, 2019.

1. the old ones came out fused to the then cut up shaft but instaling the new ones is a doddle.

• Like Like x 1
  2. hope you have no probs, wouldnt wiah it on anyone!! it is a right bitch.. im going to get a drift made up for the future.. one with a threaded end to ensure it stays square.

3. I used a socket and then an extension bar. I can’t remember what size socket now, perhaps 17mm? whichever one that fits snugly down the tube. My biggest fear was that in pulling the extension bar out it would detach from the socket and leave the socket irretrievably inside the tube:scream:. To avoid this I bought an especially long, deep, socket and tapped with the hammer/mallet with care. I made sure I stopped before the socket went fully into the tube, by which time I could finish it off with the extension bar. Also, when it begins to budge bang it back in again from the other side. Do this frequently as it’s coming out, it breaks up any corrosion. I read that trick from someone on here:upyeah:. Good luck, but in theory, as you greased it it should be ok.

4. More fun stripping bits off today. Thanks to @Birdie, @West Cork Paul and @XH558 I have removed the disc bolts (Birdie and WCP) and the stub axle (XH - I was being lazy before!) plus more bolts. All have gone down to my man this afternoon for some tasty yellow passivate - another 50 items in total. I cant believe how many there are but, this is pretty much the last leg for the plating at least. Hope you like the list again:p - it says 47 items because I got them down there and then on the way home remembered the three on the chain runner underneath the swingarm :poop:

Everything came apart easily enough apart from the rear disc mounting bolts. They were pretty tough to get off but a little perseverance and all was good.

Need to call up the dealers ref the fastners next - the Mrs was not impressed when I told her what she was buying me for Christmas o_O

IMG_2561.JPG

#184 Expat Jack, Oct 14, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  5. Hi mate. I know Im probably being a pussy, but could you post up your photos of this operation please? Including where you support the bike / swing arm etc. I am going to try mine but dont want to make an expensive mistake and an idiots guide with pics would really help me.
    Thanks in advance.
    Richard

6. When removing the swing arm pivot bolt on the 748/916 there is no need to support anything, it holds it self together, there are top hat bushes on ether end of the swing arm that protrude into the frame which holds it in place.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. A Pig in shit;)......Happy days for you R:motorcycleduc::upyeah:

8. Its going to be even happier. I have just ordered 23 fairing screws and 10 Dzus fastners. What a price!!!!

I am going for a lie down.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Local dealer?...£6.95 each:thinkingface: plus the back bracket.

10. Got a discount as I was buying a job lot. Moto Rapido who also supplied me the airbox to tank gasket.

• Like Like x 2
  11. 2017-01-02 10.58.57.jpg
    My pivot bolt out, you can see through the hole to the wall behind, bike on the rear paddock stand only.
    Steve

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. show off...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. how did you get on with the tank seal? i got one from rapido and it was way to thick, like 15mm or something and made the tank sit funny so i used my old one...

14. Interesting. It does feel thicker but I put that down to newness. Tank does sit a bit higher.
    My old one was not really fit to re use.

15. Just checked against a “before” photo and the tank line looks the same. So I would say it’s fine mate.

16. cool... couldn't get mine to sit right at all.. strange

17. Did you sit on the tank mate?? ;)

18. i have to or im to short to reach the bars

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. He's not tall enough. ;)

20. Nor am I. I make chiz look tall

• WTF WTF x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information