1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 748r Light Refurb, Well, It Started That Way.....

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Expat Jack, Sep 23, 2019.

1. would that be before, after or instead of a parts cleaner with paraffin or a proprietary degreaser?!

2. I generally find, what ever you can get away with and what you can't, some flowers and chocolate can cure most things

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. And if that fails you can always take refuge in the pub.

4. a little yellow touch up stick works well to put the 'torqued' mark back on as it left the factory.. :punch:;)

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. My fairings are definitely yellow from birth, at least where there’s a scratch it’s a light colour underneath ie milky yellow. My seat unit however is red underneath as though red was injected into it when it was moulded. It’s genuine, from new, and not been added at a later date so who knows what was going on. Also, as an aside, I took the rider seat off the seat unit the other day. Whilst on the seat unit, there’s a visible date stamp underneath the seat pad which is XX March 99; in keeping with the bike’s age. However, once the pad was removed there’s a second date on the pad XX Juli 96! So it’s been hanging around, in stock, for 3 years, then re date stamped when eventually used. Strange.

6. Ducati.

• Agree Agree x 2
  7. Thank you. I have some Humbrol yellow on the shelf.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Sneaky shakedown run this morning - managed to get 15 or so gentle miles on her (after a quick round the block 1/2 mile first and check brakes etc). No petrol smells!!
    She's back in the garage and I will check all the bolts etc tomorrow.
    Just waiting on Dzus and fairing screws and I am done.......for now.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Photographs once completed sir.:upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. I wouldnt bother.Looks a nail to me.;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  11. I used the dishwasher to clean all the disassembled parts of my kx250 engine before I rebuilt it. Amazing job but the cutlery did have a whiff of Fuchs 2 stroke oil for a few washes afterwards

• Funny Funny x 3
  12. Does sir require the services of a chiropractor now...?

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. ‘Sir’ probably needed such help whilst attempting to remove the sprocket nut so riding the bike is considerably more comfortable.

seriously though, I rode the 748 then jumped straight into my Pani R. The 748 is much more extreme in terms of body position. I think the 749 / 999 are even more so.

ouch.

14. 749/999 is a comfy sofa compared to 748/9*6.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  15. I’ve told you a million times not to exaggerate.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Well, I have had a pretty difficult week with family stuff and the bikes have had to take a bit of a backseat for a little while. But, I am happy to say that I am ready to share the (almost?!!) finished article. I decided to fit genuine DP pressure plate, caps and carbon clutch cover rather than a slipper. Part cost, part convenience and this one will never go on a track in my ownership so not strictly necessary.

Here are some pictures from today for you. I had a 10 mile shake down on the 748 and then could not resist jumping on the R for a blast as it was dry and I think after my last week I deserved it.

Final thing is that I have managed to secure a genuine DP carbon swingarm cover (MS Production made, c 2002) that will need a re-lacquer. Got it for a real bargain price which was good. Once done and fitted I will post a pic.

59415413266__9788B347-EB8F-4ECF-9615-1656319B3BB5.JPG View attachment 174690 View attachment 174691 IMG_2669.JPG IMG_2670.JPG IMG_2672.JPG IMG_2673.JPG IMG_2674.JPG IMG_2675.JPG InkedIMG_2671_LI.jpg InkedIMG_2677_LI.jpg InkedIMG_2679_LI.jpg

#236 Expat Jack, Nov 6, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
    • Like Like x 13
  17. Get some gb moto rear sets on the 748 mate they look do much better.

• Useful Useful x 1
  18. Think I need some trinkets for the Triumph next TBH but I may well keep a lookout for some. The 748 pegs ain't exactly grippy.

19. Beautiful.
    But there's a couple of splodges of chain lube on your rear sprocket plate:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. Ooops.
    I wish it was lube.
    The plate is marked, not sure by what (prior to my ownership) - errant paddock stand perhaps?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information