1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 748r Light Refurb, Well, It Started That Way.....

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Expat Jack, Sep 23, 2019.

1. Would extra coats on the pin pricks fill them up?

Can you pm me your address as I have a couple of bits that could do with a refresh...

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. Ref pinpricks - yup, wet down, tack coat, more layers of lacquer, rinse and repeat etc. I have run out of lacquer or would have simply carried on in the bathroom (so to speak) yesterday, laying additional coats that is. Its becoming a bit of an experiment for me. I know the right way, but want to see if a shortcut would work as I simply cannot afford a divorce by spraying indoors again :D

If you have parts that need a tart up you should give it a go, its good fun if you have the time.

#282 Expat Jack, Nov 21, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  3. And spare bathroom?:p

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Buy a Clarkes Little Devil Heater. Your garage or shed will be warn very quickly from icy cold.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Finished buggering about with my experimental fix of the pin pricks in the lacquer and also the curtain runs. No surprise, the best way would be to keep laying lacquer until the holes were filled but, as explained, I simply cannot attempt this at the moment. :rolleyes:

The end result is not bad, especially for a fix without lacquer. The curtain run is sorted nicely. Here's what I did.

Before shots:
    IMG_2733.JPG IMG_2734.JPG

The curtain run (not so bothered about the pinholes on this surface as will be covered by the nylon chain runner):
    IMG_2735.JPG
    I flatted back to show the pin pricks. Applied araldite clear resin to the pinprick areas and left to harden over a couple of days. Carefully flatted back the new resin and also removed the run by wet sanding with 800/1200/2000/2500 grit:

IMG_2738.JPG

IMG_2743.JPG

Then out with the cutting compound, polish and finally wax with electric buffer:
    IMG_2744.JPG

Like I said, not concerned about these pinpricks as hidden once fitted, but run removed

:
    IMG_2745.JPG IMG_2746.JPG

So, not bad, much better than it was and OK for now. I would say 6 out of 10 and tried some new things along the way.

I will fit to the bike over the next few days and post up a pic of it done. Hope this helps someone.

• Like Like x 7
    • Useful Useful x 2
  6. Looks good. I have got all carbon to do on mine. Lucky for me my dad's a painter!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thank you Andy. I am enjoying your rebuild thread very much by the way.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Cheers, just heading of on holiday for a coupe weeks. Hopefully have a some parts to fit when I get back.

9. What caused the pin pricks EJ?

10. Age and condition of the original carbon fibre resin I think. I’ve think it must have got thin in places and the resin had stopped penetrating the carbon weave. This lets air permeate through and you get a pin prick or fish eye. It can also be caused by not cleaning the grease off a part but that is not the case here, thoroughly prepped and wiped down with acetone prior to first tack coat.
    That’s my guess anyway.

• Useful Useful x 1
  11. And after 45 mins in the garage this morning, here is the finished product, showing both the sprocket cover and the swing arm cover. The rest of the carbon was done professionally (won't ever need to pay for this again).

Well pleased.

Just need to source some tasty (gloss black) rearsets per @cookster previous suggestion.

IMG_2748.JPG IMG_2749.JPG IMG_2751.JPG IMG_2747.JPG IMG_2750.JPG

• Like Like x 8
  12. Too shiny Jack, too shiny :D

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Gb moto rear sets are great value mate, here's my old 748r with um on.
    IMG-20180406-WA0002.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  14. They look great, thanks for the pic. Bikes not bad either (but what would I expect from you!).
    Checking their website they are good value as you say - £189.95 looks pretty keen. Think I might ask for a set from the Mrs for Christmas.
    :party:

• Like Like x 2
  15. I bought some rearsets for my 748, in blingy gold (being the nearest thing to yellow):D, can't fooking use them though o_O.

Other than have the left hand peg in the most forward position on its mounting plate they'll foul the swingarm as it moves up and down. Having the foot rest in that position places it in the same position as the regular rearsets and thus, apart from looking nice, defeats the object which was to give me slightly longer between ankle and wrist (being 6'2ish).

Unfortunately I only discovered this having removed both old sets, installed the one on the right hand side and connected up the brake and got the peg where I wanted it, installed the one on the left and connected up the gear lever, then went to set it furthest back :mad:.

The picture below shows the peg in it's foremost position and the rear of it only barely misses the swingarm.
    IMG_1711.jpg IMG_1713.jpg

16. Just wrong Paul ;)

17. You'll be telling me a yellow Ducati is wrong next:)

18. Not at all, yellow is one of my fave colours :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  19. Just a little bit gauche IMHO :mask:

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. If Jimmy Saville had rearsets...

You can use spacers behind the mounts.

• Funny Funny x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information