1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 748r Light Refurb, Well, It Started That Way.....

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Expat Jack, Sep 23, 2019.

1. I’ve got to wait until I’ve got it all back first. I dropped it off in Ikea form a couple of weeks ago :joy:

• Funny Funny x 1
  2. The bike is at the shop now but I'll see if I can get down there later on in the morning, take some photo's and load them :)

#322 Brouny851, Dec 6, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Friday 13th :scream: and been up half the night watching the election. What better day/time to attempt the tank pad that I have been scared of attempting, afraid of what I might find underneath?:sweat:

Out with the hairdryer and silicone kitchen utensil - some kind of spatula. Heat and poke and its off.

Fastening pads removed with a combination of elbow grease/petrol/WD40. A nasty black mark in the middle of where the pad was would not shift at all. The first photo of the black mark was after a wet clean and a couple of manual polishes with cutting compound.

50 minutes with a mechanical polisher and Meguiars cutting compound and it's not too bad. Finished off with polish and then wax but only after I had completely destroyed the rubbing compound abrasive pad (it was a cheapie). Might have a further pass when i get a replacement.

So, for now, job done and reasonably happy with the finish. Could have been a lot worse that's for sure. One little chip and still some black where the unidentified mark was. I think I will have to fit a tank protector and if so, know which one. The protector that I took off was pretty nasty - single layer of weave. no wonder if was looking tired.

What do you all think?

IMG_2803.jpg
    IMG_2804.jpg IMG_2808.jpg IMG_2809.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  4. Personally I think the whole bike is far too clean and pristine; it’s disgusting :mad:.

Ha, just jealous really, nice job, well done:upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 3
  5. Thanks Paul. I was shitting myself at what I was going to uncover TBH. I really like it without the pad and hope that with a bit more careful work I can leave it 'bare' so to speak.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Hope your going to replace it with something as they scratch like hell without protection inplay.:thinkingface:

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. You could use one of @hyperdildo dildos - would impress the girlies too :thinkingface:

• Funny Funny x 1
  8. Surely that’s not a problem. It’s never gonna get ridden. Much too clean now to take out on our filthy dirty roads. Garage queen from now on.. :)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. Dildo king

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. Now is it bloody ready for eBay :p
    Looks much better without that pad and definitely put a pad back on

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Harry, that would hurt my ‘front bottom’ surely?

12. Nope. It will be gracing the mean streets of Bucks and Oxon all year long. Last outing 2 weeks ago.

• Like Like x 2
  13. This is the problem if you make them look like new again,so i always throw a bucket of cow shit at the bike once a month.;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Your right!! My old 748r was concours!! I never rode it , I ended up selling it. Now the sps is very tidy but not as mint but I enjoy riding it.

• Like Like x 2
  15. I guess we can't take them with us so might as well enjoy while we can comes to mind.:):upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. I love my 996 ride it as much as I can and do track days on it too.

• Like Like x 1
  17. What mileage us it on now Al? Just curious.

18. Still 21k something odd now mate

Do Not Sell My Personal Information