1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 748r Light Refurb, Well, It Started That Way.....

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Expat Jack, Sep 23, 2019.

1. No. Not yet as looks good and want to keep as much totally original where possible. I think it’s called sympathetic. I call it lazy.

2. Bench grinder and mops then elbow grease. Bit pointless but it’s been pissing down here last night and today.
    Spring is 1091-16/64 081

• Like Like x 3
  3. Nice work mate keep it up.... x

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. can i bring mine around when youre done with yours please?

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. For a small consideration ;)

6. Correct the latter of the two;)but other difficult parts can be done at a much later date when you've more time available.:upyeah:this thread reminds me i'll need to do mine at some time on the R.:(

7. Bolts are back!!

Just picked them up.....

.....best £40 I think I have ever spent:

IMG_2509.JPG

• Like Like x 13
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Nice! Like a lovely metric vejazzle

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. Look good.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. I’m also in awe of your location sheet that they are on. Meticulous planning always gets my vote

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. id pay that for EJ's sheet alone... lovely work there.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. @RC1 and @hyperdildo

the sheet is a sign of total incompetence. This way I know what goes where and, more importantly, what bloke does not love a list?

13. Lists and photos are the key to a successful job.

14. Getting there.

Carbon is back. So is the fairing upper (more of this later). Bolts all back on - might get a few more done that don't show just because I know they need doing - at the same time I would also get a broad selection of bolts plated as spares.

Carbon is pretty good. Some items had nine coats of lacquer, they were so bad.

I have replaced the carbon clutch cover with an OEM original, new, and gasket. The carbon cover is a genuine Ducati one BUT I think its for a monster - can anyone confirm from the photos below?

New air box to tank rubber purchased and fitted. The old one was shot. Ex's fuel connectors fitted along with new fule pipe clips. I have currently left the female connectors in place in the tank as they seem ok, but I have a curious thing rolling around in the tank (its pretty well drained) - again, is this normal? Don't think it is but it might be a loose washer or nut that has been dropped in at some stage in the bikes life.

On the air box clips, I can only get one done up on the left hand side. I seem to think that there was only one done up when I removed the airbox. I think the tab might be too worn to hold the spring clip, or is there a knack to doing this that I don't know? How important is it - the trumpet seems pretty well engaged?

The fairing. Paint is fantastic. Number board is bubbled and needs to be redone. So its going back.

A couple of bolts are showing signs of wear so i will replace, especially one of the front axle pinch bolts.

Hope to be able to show you the finished item in a a week or two, but I do keep finding things as Im going.....and I've got a new bike to run in as well. Its a tough life.

IMG_2517.JPG IMG_2519.JPG IMG_2521.JPG IMG_2523.JPG IMG_2524.JPG IMG_2528.JPG

• Like Like x 7
  15. The thing you mention rolling around the tank could be a Datatag, there black and about the size of a smarties sweet.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. That is a good shout. There was one araldited into one of the rear wheel spokes and I know they come in pairs. Thank you very much.

• Like Like x 1
  17. As @Roadtrip says, definitely one in the tank. After the body shop messed about with my bike, it came back with half the casing missing and the magnet stuck to the inside of the tank!

The bike is looking amazing! Love seeing the updates

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. Also, incase you fancy doing them, Ducati still sell the chain sliders on the swing arm for around £30 a pair. They will tidy that up no end!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information