1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 748r Light Refurb, Well, It Started That Way.....

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Expat Jack, Sep 23, 2019.

1. THanks Tel and @Roadtrip Never thought if that. Will investigate.

#81 Expat Jack, Oct 5, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  2. +1 again for what @Roadtrip says. Drain the tank and fish it out whilst the tank is off. If it looks like this below it’s as suggested. A great job’s been done on the carbon, it looks fantastic:upyeah:
    C111A1B9-1001-441C-9F78-DF877E1C5A46.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  3. Little moment today.
    Got all the carbon, tank and fairing lowers on.
    Fired her up.
    Rolled her back out of the garage and warmed her up. Lovely.
    Put her back ready for finishing touches and top fairing and, HORROR.
    A bright bolt lying on the garage floor. Inspection. It’s off the bike. Where is my list? Checked and I had not removed this.
    Started to panic. Where was it from? Mind racing. Checked Workshop manual and narrowed it down. It was the headlight adjustment bolt.
    Evil spare bolt Gods nil. My list 1.
    Onwards.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  4. It's normally the spring that goes walkies.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. As above , if you have the bolt then there should be a spring also.

6. Hi. Yes, thanks for this both. The spring was still in place.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ive been a bit distracted with a new toy but have been making progress with the 748. Its pretty much back together (not ready for a finished pic yet though). Thanks to @Exige the fuel lines are back and properly located.
    I took @TelRobinson 's advice and bought new chain runners - £24 the pair.
    Simple job until I got the the lower runner bolt closest to the swingarm pivot. The drive chain (over 18 years) had worn the bolt sides down so it would not accept a socket nor spanner. Much cursing, patience (I dont have an abundance of that :mad: ) and a very good pair of mole grips and I had it off within 45 minutes.

IMG_2537.JPG IMG_2538.JPG IMG_2539.JPG

So, if you are planning on doing this yourself, my advice would be to free this bolt before making the purchase :upyeah:

Final job list:

Collect nose fairing with number board properly applied (hopefully later today).

More bolt plating - I keep finding ones and its my CDO (that's OCD in alphabetical order in case you were wondering) that is making me want to get them done even though they are hidden by bodywork.

Source a new front axle pinch bolt - the OEM part is available but apparently only HEX head (allen head for Ohlins - anyone got a spare with the ridges on the head?).

Final job - call up Sean who I bought it from and ask him over for a coffee to have a looksee.

Pics of the end once complete.

Put it all back together and torque up correctly. Check all nuts and bolts for

• Like Like x 7
  8. That chain runner bolt still looks factory :D

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. A7548292-B433-4489-9A64-B67AC3568DAC.jpeg FE09B3C6-F727-4C7B-8672-2C60F1EFA4FA.jpeg Friday evening. Sitting in the garage, beer in hand, just drooling on my bike. Am I normal??

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Lacquered edge no more.
    Teaser.
    3F68D578-FA9D-46F0-BE28-905F9DD25624.jpeg

• Like Like x 4
  11. If you were sitting on it naked then we'd be concerned.;)
    Looking like new keep up the good work.:upyeah:

12. How do you know I’m not??

13. 6CDF045A-53B3-4A90-A1CF-34E58D05F264.jpeg CF air scoop cover. Happy boy.

• Like Like x 6
  14. That's true:worried:......hey whatever gets your weekend started is ok by me.:upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Dzus.
    A55C2E10-B405-43ED-8CF7-DB6F9C8FA2B9.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. Thought you were OCD...those aren't the correct Dzus for a 748..

17. Yup. V (too) expensive to source. But better than the Chinese black ones it came with.

18. Buy used ones and send em to your plater.

• Like Like x 1
  19. I couldn’t find any used at the time. If you know of some then I would be interested.
    The bike is for riding, it won’t be a show pony. I use my bikes whenever the opportunity arises so if does not have to be totally original. That was not my intention.
    It is mainly standard but got some additions, like the cf
    “Bash plate” on the bottom of the fairing.
    I was torn between keeping it pretty much as I got her or refreshing closer to standard but, having said that, I am delighted with the results so far.
    As a bonus, it’s been fun doing it and I have made new contacts for the future.
    Whilst chatting, do you know anything about the cf clutch cover on a previous post on this thread? Looks nice but think the alloy/tin/steel oe one is better.

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information