1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748 748r Light Refurb, Well, It Started That Way.....

Discussion in '748 / 916 / 996 / 998' started by Expat Jack, Sep 23, 2019.

1. you havent read my origanal build thread of a few years back then? i had to cut my swing arm off!!!!
    replaced a nice polished sw arm (bitch to keep clean!!) and new shaft/bushes/bearings, lot of grease on the install..
    tried to remove about a year ago to regrease, as i promiced myself i wouldnt let it get that bad again and no dice..
    in my ham fistedness i think i have either bent or bured the end of the shaft as its about 40-50 mm out and wont go either way now... big problem...

• WTF WTF x 2
  2. Since everyone is posting a photo of their 748 clutch cover here is mine - bought from @bettes - cheers Ian :)
    with engine running! and also the titanium fasteners
    :)
    DSC_0902s.jpg DSC_9882.jpg

3. Hi Neil. Hope all’s well! Looking good.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Titanium clutch cover! :upyeah:
    Doesn’t get any better then that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. heres mine... the original cover was 'slotted' by the previous owner so he could get an airline into it... not sure if genius or sacrilege but its the only 'mod' to the bike

IMG_20160806_162123.jpg

6. Standard plate painted

DSCN2148_zpsxmgfwmma.jpg

DSCN2149_zpstgzdojmx.jpg

• Like Like x 4
  7. I've now got 10 with the flat heads. I did have 10 with the domed heads, like the rusty one, they were the originals.
    When I got them there was a choice of colours but I went for 'gold' as the originals were that colour. As said above gold is the original colour.
    Having said gold's the original colour I do like those Ti ones a lot, where did you get them from please?

8. I did read a thread about someone who had to cut it out but didn't remember it was you. After yours and @Birdie 's experience I'm deffo getting it out, greasing it up, and putting it in again once a year - the swing arm bolt that is:D

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. that was my intention... i really cant believe how stuck it was as id only covered 5k since rebuild and appart from cleaning its only got wet a hand full of times. it should have come out no prob...

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
  10. Is it an engine out job on the pivot bolt?

11. Not at all. A socket, an allen key (large one, can't remember the size but that's more for doing it up again) and a drift and mallet.

12. I've been thinking of that, what paint did you use? TIA

13. Hammerite smooth, around seven coats and then hung it above a radiator for a few days, its lasting very well.

14. I had a check in the Haynes and thought you had to take the engine out so, beyond me. Can you give me an idiots guide with pics if poss at some point in time?

15. on paper its a piss of piss 2 min job... the reality can be somewhat different.. i love how the haynes manual says remove retianing bold and withdraw shaft... sounds so easy!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Mine slid out like it had been put in the day before! Luck of the draw I think!

I remember seeing photos of the guy that jacked it against his wall, the wall lost that one!

17. smug fucker!!! lol
    the first time around i did alot of looking on line and its pretty common to have to resort to extrem mesures!
    not sure what im to do this time as i dont fancy cutting the arm off again, last time the bike was a mess and about to be rebuilt.. its a pretty brutal affair...

18. Hi I got them from here:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-7...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
    :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  19. I've been lucky I've had 2 748s and my 996 all came apart easy.

• Like Like x 2
  20. I shouldn’t have jinxed it, I’ve got to take it out this week and it’ll probably be properly seized in lol!

The last time it was out, a gave it a good coating of copper slip, so hopefully that will do a bit of justice this time. How are the bushes to replace?

Do Not Sell My Personal Information