1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748r Numbers Confusion Help Please...

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Noods, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Top work my friend.... x

2. If it helps, i can confirm, because i owned one from new until it was stolen.
    2002 my02 Red 748R
    slab sided fairings
    Ohlins steering damper, front and rear suspension.
    Yoke plaque, and i think the number was 654
    overhead shower type injectors in very fine metal bracketry rather than the later plastic versions.

3. Crikey.. one I was looking at was No 698 very close to yours.. this was 2002 Red ohlins etc ..

What did you think of it?

4. I had a red 2001 Ohlins 748R, with the Boge steering damper. It was and still is the most 'heavy on the hands' bike I have ever ridden. I remember on the first few rides thinking I am going to have to do some neck exercises in order to see where I am going... The brakes were sensational; I eventually changed it for a 1098S, which at the time the journos were saying had vicious brakes, but the 748R's were much better. The 748R on the track was Jeckle and Hyde. On tracks that suited it, it was awesome. On tracks that didn't it was a pig. The corner speeds possible were silly. I had a few of the usual issues on Ducatis of that era. I had two rockers changed under Nelly's supervision. I look back with fondness on my time with it. It was Y169 AVG and is apparently still going strong somewhere...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Really sorry you had your bike stolen can only imagine how awful that must of felt..

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Great insight really appreciated.. thanks

7. Typical Ducati parts bin engineering of the period, the numbered plaques were all jumbled up in a box on a shelf so there is no assembly date logic you can tie to the number. Mine is registered in 2001 and is number 848. Andy

8. my 748r had the 853 kit in it, cracking on the track but very hard work on the road.

9. I love my 748RS based 853 with a passion but sadly despite the time it took to develop, Almeria 2 weeks ago showed that it can't hold a candle to the 1098R. Andy

10. I got offered a 2002 748r last week.. slab sided with carbon and ohlins etc only thing not standard on it was a sigma slipper clutch.. 2 owners not been used at all in 4 years so would have been a recomission
    Job 19k miles which is what put me off and he wanted £7500 for it..bit steep I thought ..

Weird as well, some of the 748r's of 2002 seem to have a red front mudguard as this one did and then others have a carbon one...

11. Mine (2001) came with red front mudguard, I changed to carbon (my preference) Sigma clutch is an upgrade from the basic slipper..
    Unless you plan to stare at it or have it as a shelf queen mileage doesn't matter (Provided its been well serviced and cared for)
    Just bare in mind what some people say, pig around town, awesome on track...That said, they are special..:upyeah:

#31 Andy800, Jun 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Carbon mudguard was not standard but was a DP option. £7500 is actually one if the more realistic prices I've seen recently, especially if it hadn't been written off at some stage in it's life. Recommissioning could have been used as a bargaining chip and is going to cost about £600 for a belt service and then just pull a figure out of the air. Forks and rear shock are unlikely to have been serviced - ever and you might as well do the fork oil seals at the same time because Ohlins fork seals will leak eventually. Probably sprockets and chain need changing at that mileage and you need to check the inside of the petrol tank for corrosion especially if petrol was left in the tank. Worst case scenario is perforated with rust which I've seen on a 916. End can internals rust as well and although Termignoni are doing 45mm new, 50mm for the half system are getting harder to find. Should be no issue with flaky cams as that was earlier models. Kosher 748Rs are getting harder and harder to find and won't be like buses, don't see one for ages then 3 come along at once. If you can get it somewhere in the £6k bracket, it's worth considering IMO if the 748R is on your bucket list. Andy

#32 Android853sp, Jun 4, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Pig around town?as in heavy clutch and Engine lumpy in traffic ?

14. Pretty much. When on the move its awesome, fluid, handles beautifully, lovely revving engine, around town can be hard work. Heavy clutch, doesn't like to fuel at low speeds. If moving in slow moving traffic its bearable, creeping traffic is pretty uncomfortable. As Andy says above, if its on your bucket list definately go have a look or a ride on one

#34 Andy800, Jun 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jun 5, 2017
  15. everyone know yellow ones are faster innit

IMG_20160806_172356.jpg

16. On a tedious point, mine says "superbike" on the tail unit yet ive seen others with something else written on them?

IMG_20170224_141916_hdr.jpg

17. 748R on mine (2001) I've noticed that too.

18. My bodywork is currently in the loft but I'll check next time I'm there. Andy

19. Noods to answer your questions: Yes getting it stolen, from Mallory park, was a kick in the teeth. It is the only new bike i have ever owned and i loved it to death and it fair broke my heart when it went. Sitting 100 miles from home in full leathers and no bike is a strange way to spend the evening as well.

I had a 48 tooth clutch basket and an oberon clutch slave cylinder. The fuel injection never gave me a moments concern and out on the open road it was fantastic. Fit a 14 tooth front sprocket to make it a little more civilised around town and away you go. In fact do that with every Ducati you ever ride.
    Apart from the riding experience i would say that even now i regard it as so stunningly beautiful it makes you thankful Tamburini got to give such a thing to the rest of us to enjoy.
    I dont know if you have a history of Ducati ownership but you get to notice so many details on these bikes it never gets old and the 748R of the last generation is the Pinacle of the design.
    A pleasure to own.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information