1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

748r Numbers Confusion Help Please...

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Noods, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Right folks for starters the book in question I have, and his numbers are wrong. If you get in touch with the factory they said that between 1999 and 2000 only 690 mk1 748r were produced,in fact if you look on eBay there is one for sale with the letter from the factory stating this fact. Also the mk1 did in fact come with a numbered plaque,but that had to be applied for . You could in fact apply for the numbered plaque if you had proof of ownership right up until the year 2010. I did and do have the plaque and a letter from the factory to go with it. It comes in a red leather presentation box,and it is made of silver not pueter. I'm trying to find any other mk1 748r owners who have a GENUINE plaque with their bike

2. Curious as they had to make 1000 to meet the homologation requirement and say so, with the 1012 MY01 bikes would have been able to meet the homologation requirements for two years but not if they only made 690 for one of the years. I think the interpretation of model is being used incorrectly and that Ducati made 690 MY00 EU spec bikes as well as the 150 MY00 UK spec models as well as the other country specific ones. Remember the design spec for a 'model' will be different for UK spec ones so would be counted differently which is why Falloon lists it separately. I will stick with Falloon on this one, I bet if you ask Fabiana a full question you will get a fuller response, Falloon got his numbers from Ducati directly after all.
    For those interested here is a c&p from the ebay listing

I have been in correspondence with the factory and received this response:" ".. thank you for contacting us and for being part of Ducati family.
    We really regret for the long delay of this feedback. With reference to your requests, we would like to confirm you that the bike is available in our systems, as you wrote, and VIN Z.......709 and engine no. Z........92 properly identifies a 748 R Model Year 2000.

We are also in position to inform you that Ducati, between 1999 and 2000, built 690 bikes of this model.

Then, we would like to inform you the numbered plaque possibly put on a limited edition bike guarantees its authenticity. However, please note that the number on a bike’s plate does not necessarily correspond to the true order of production.

Unfortunately Ducati cannot duplicate or copy any plaque related to limited edition bikes. Further, we are not in the position to find out the plaque number if the original plaque has been lost.

Thanks again for your understanding, we remain at your disposal.

Best regards,

Fabiana.

• Like Like x 1
  3. That's what I thought ,about having to make 1000 to run in wss .was Ducati still running the sps in 1999 if so,1000 wouldn't have needed to be made.

4. And the bike in question on eBay is a uk spec bike,if what your saying is correct surely she would have put there were 150 bikes built between 1999 and 2000. All very confusing!!

5. David, perhaps if you had asked how many UK spec MY00 748Rs were made, I am pretty sure she would have said 150. On the homologation issue there were many big differences between the R and SPS it replaced. The R homologated amongst other things a bigger air box and the use of the Kyalami frame which had only been used in MY98 916 SPS (for the WSB homologation). If the magic number was 1000 machines then they had to make 1000 machines to the new R spec to qualify.

6. With respect I know all about the r spec difference ,bigger air box 996 frame boa bla bla,And given the bike frame and numbers were from a uk spec bike ,why give the numbers for Euro???. I was asking if the sps was run in wss in the 1999/2000 season? If so the 1999/2000 model 748R wouldn't have needed to reach a production run of 1000 would it?

7. Also fallon doesn't list the non numbered 996r

8. Anyway what I'm searching for is mk1 owners with the Original plaque,and I'm struggling to find any more,I know of 3 including my own.

9. you're being a bit rude

you came on here to get some intel. denzil kindly obliged and he gets a load of passive aggression/sarcasm?

10. Yes it would, as the modifications found in the 748R had to be homologated in a road bike production run for the new components to be eligible for use on the track. The 748SPS did not provide homologation for the frame and airbox and many other components fitted to the R. Anyway, Falloon did not invent his numbers as they came from the factory. Make you own mind up

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. Most are yellow on this thread :p

• Face Palm Face Palm x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information