1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 749/999 Black Swing Arm Chain Adjusters

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by RickyX, Apr 21, 2020.

1. @aprieposh you still need to tell me what colour you want buddy

2. 9BD31E4C-404E-4C51-8D78-0E1FFFA6BE80.jpeg

So where did the two bolts on the left come from and what’s the thing on the right I have circled in yellow?

I don’t have any of these parts

I have one main assembly for each side and a bolt to fix each side to the swing arm.

Are there meant to be more parts @Jamie Clare

I thought all I would be doing was whipping the wheel and existing adjuster assembly off, fitting the new ones with the bolts towards the front of the swing arm, lining up the new adjusters to about the right position then remounting the wheel before final adjustment? Maybe with a little bit of filing ?

Is that not correct?

3. I don’t know about the bolts mate. Everyone has been debating the correct fitting for them. Read back through the thread to understand better.

4. hi Jamie
    Do I have all the correct parts?

5. What do you mean by correct parts?

6. I am wondering what the part is that I have circled in yellow

7. These are extra parts I made. If you follow the thread back I offered these extra parts @ £15 extra as at the beginning everyone said it wasn’t needed. But later some water them so we did them as an option.
    Just read back through if you have any questions.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Derek, they are little brackets that basically hold the back end of the adjusters flat against the swing arm.
    They appear to be part of the Gilles original kit.
    I however did not have any with my second hand set, or with the Gilles copies on my trackbike.
    There is debate over whether they are actually needed as once the spindle is tight the adjusters will be held tight against the swing arm.
    Jamie offered to make them as an extra and one had to specify if they were needed when ordering - at an additional cost.

9. can you tell me what these other parts are for? I thought the extra parts were for a paddock stand?

I have bobbins on my swing arm so I didn’t bother ordering them

10. That’s what I have been trying to understand. Can’t see why they are required unless they are part of the paddock stand assembly. As you say the axle is held in at one side by a flange and at the other side by a nut under tension. There is also the bolt to the front. To me that seems sufficient and how I will fit them. Obviously, I wanted to check into the thread as a double check.

so what do you think the extra parts are doing? I suppose they hold the adjusters in place while a wheel is off for a tyre change

#410 749er, Jun 6, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. The additional brackets are simply an additional / optional possibility to fix the adjusters in place. If the rear axle is tightened with the wheel in place the brackets will have no functionality at all...

BUT

if the wheel is removed... and the axle is not in place... there is the slight possibility that if you crash against the adjusters (which are only fixed by the front bolt), it might happen - and already happened with my original Gilles adjusters - that you'll bend them.

In case that you're using the paddock stand directly on the adjusters WITHOUT the small brackets - you'll also run into the possibility of bending them.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. normally I use a single sided paddock stand but I also have another stand which lifts from bobbins on the swing arm. I am going to not bother with the additional brackets but to use a bit of loctite blue to tack the adjusters into the swing arm, just to stop them parting from the swing arm when the axle is removed

13. I measured 6.01mm with Vernier's and my 6mm spacers are cock on :eyes:
    Are you sure your adjusters were fully seated :thinkingface:

IMG_0813.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. 8ACC0AAA-4B8A-4E88-8F28-E28005E18A8E.jpeg

254BF79E-7BBC-4E93-BC84-E63DC1B73F94.jpeg

I think I will order up the additional parts As the axle fit is real snug on the captive side.

really nicely made and so much easier to adjust the chain that the OEM set up

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yes pal, all fully seated, 6.8 mine :joy:

16. Fecking Ducati tolerances :rolleyes: my swing arm must be lighter than yours :yum unless it's an inch longer :eyes:

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. At least you guys have got yours!

18. Yes we have :blush:

19. Norwegian postal service snailing the handling of my package as usual. Any day now!

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information