1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 Fuel Pump Fault Found, But Just Had A Heart Attack On The Replacement Cost!

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Daikinman, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Hi All,

I am after some help.
    I have had an issue with my 05 749 just cutting out randomly over the past few weeks. After my last return home (thanks to the RAC) I spent hours this weekend tracing the fault.

The fault is where the pump cables enter the fuel tank through a potted hole. The cables for the pump are loose causing the fuel pump to operate randomly. Great I thought finding this fault. Bench tested the pump and this is working perfectly fine.

Now I have found that new this is a complete assembly and the almost heart attack ensued! Just short of £600...:Jawdrop:.
    A second hand one is my next line, but wondered if anyone else has had this and if so how did they correct it. Is getting it repaired/ repotted an option and who would you recomend. This is not something I have ever done and tbh not one I would be keen on trying.

If by any chance somebody has one for sale or know who could possibly help...please let me know.

Cheers Dave.

2. Give it a go, what have you got to lose ?

or

Take it to a white goods / TV repair man ?

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Thanks for the advice....after reading the Ducati MS thread doesn't seem that bad to do so may give it a go...better than the cost of a new one!

4. Hi Again,
    After some digging around on the internet it seems that this specific part is available seperately for the ST models:
    Part Number 51020032A.
    Would anyone here know if this would fit a 749? As I can'r seem to find any type of information/dimentions for it to compare.

Cheers, Dave.

5. It's also available for the 748/916/99* model. The STs are the same but don't have the quick disconnect fittings. But both of them use a different o-ring to the 749/999 so I think they's be a different diameter.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  6. Thanks Derek,
    I have taken a punt and orderd one. Fingers crossed it might work.

7. FWIW everything's fixable. It's just sometimes cheaper and easier just to replace it.
    Keep us up to date on the fix.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Hi, Its been a while, but there is good news.
    From the initial issue i decided to completely strip the 749 and rebuild it. Its 10 years old and used all year soo showing plenty of wear and tear. I have never done anything like this before - a complete newbie. From stripping the whole bike - engine out and repaint including the headlight, to replacing the wiring loom tape, belts, valves, new Samco hose kit, service ect. This has been interesting and very rewarding. It highlighted many items that i would never of suspected inspecting.

Anyhow I finally got around to fitting the part from the ST and it fitted perfectly into the base plate and sealed no problem.

Now there were a couple of things that I found which I though some here may find interesting. I never knew there was a second filter hidden within the fuel pump assembly.:eek: I change the main filter regularly, but was shocked as to the amount of muck that was trapped in here. If you carefully remove the black casing from the base plate it is located here and clips to the inlet of the pump. Carefully cleaned this and now happy that the filter(s) are not going to cause any issues.

The main difference between the original 749 part and the ST part is the wiring. (and cost!!:upyeah:)
    There is an additional black (-) loop wire on the 749 that connects to the fuel filter from the fuel pump lead. This is not on the ST. I had an auto electrician remake this for me as they had the crimp and tool needed. I had this done for free, but should not cost more than a couple of quid he said. (2min job). :confused: I did wonder the purpose of this additional loop on the filter as the filter and mount is all plastic and connecting this earth here to me seems pointless, but for the sake of consistency i copied across to the ST one.

The white plug for the fuel level ect is shorter, but this still connects fine abet a slightly different route. This is not tight nor does it stretch the cable or anything and does not from what i can see affect anything when installed.

Well last night i started the 749 for the first time since reinstalling the engine.....and it started first time after 4 months.:Woot: shocked and so pleased at the same time.

So to put it in simple terms don't buy a whole pump assembly at nearly £600. Buy the ST part at a mere bargain price of just £82.

So now time to finish putting the 749 fully back together and MOT it.

Dave.

• Like Like x 4
    • Useful Useful x 2

9. check here sir

DesmoDuck Part Catalog

Do Not Sell My Personal Information