1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 - Fuel Pump Not Priming

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by RickyX, Sep 3, 2020.

1. the clip thing is fun, part of being spoilt at work (but also*) is that I never equipped myself with all the special ones, or tools, you can nearly always re-use all of the fasteners in your pics if careful as generous gauge material, and plenty-of-life/fit for a re-crimp but obviously carries a "don't attempt this at home" warning, i'm just tight*.. :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Stein Dinse fuel pump wiring and additional earth wire attached..Pump reassembled...new fuel filter and Oeteker clamps...new pump O ring...chuck it in the tank...splash of fuel...fires up..mended!
    Just in time for the trackday season..
    Thanks to all for help!

• Like Like x 8
  3. Great news :)

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  4. the 749 track bike which has been sat idle for months but started from time to time no longer wants to start
    no fuel pump priming
    ok so here we go... code 16.0 on dash so suggests pump relay
    relay replaced but still no good. what next?
    battery fine

5. ok so the relay in headlight loom is not looking happy and doesnt create a buzz when i stick my meter thing into it

6. oddly its the same as the one in battery box but missing a middle pin but its not wired at the plug end
    i dont have a spare so will try to remove it from my road 749

7. ok so still crap
    both relays replaced (battery box and headlight bucket) for relays that are known to work
    all fuses checked and fine (battery box x 2 and headlight bucket x 5)

8. As you have a spare 749, why not do what I did and swap the tanks over? When I put my road bike tank on my dead track bike it cured it. That’s how I confirmed it was the fuel pump wiring.

9. i knew youd say that!

• Like Like x 1
  10. It worked

• Like Like x 1
  11. You're my hero today

12. But what do i buy to fix it?

13. a lump hammer?

14. so with lump hammer in hand i just called my parts mate at OYB aylesbury adn im soon to be the lucky recipient of
    - that wire repair kit thing
    - fuel filter
    - o ring
    - 2 posh eared clamp thingies for filter to hose

and im now 130 quid poorer. yes i could have got the parts cheaper but i really couldnt be bothered

thanks @RickyX

15. Glad it solved the mystery. All **9 owners should have two to make troubleshooting easier!

16. I seem to recall you have 2 different colours of the 749?

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Or they can just call you mate

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information