1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 749 Or 999

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by noobie, Jan 8, 2018.

1. Sometime ago, many moons in the scheme of moons, I was in the market for a sports thousand. The thinking was coming down from sports tourers of 1100 plus down to a smallie would be too much.

I narrowed it down to a gixxa 1000 k6 and thought it fitted my needs but the dealer had some brand new k7 750 gixxa's in and suggested I rode one of those also. I was smitten as the 750 was a far more all together complete bike and to this day I still consider it one of the best bikes I've ever owned.

For now however with spring approaching I have a hankering for a 999 but wondered, like the gixxa, is the 749 a far more complete bike or is the 999? Taking all variations of models within models what engine size would you choose and what variation of that choice would you have?

2. 999 will be like 750 power. A 749 like a 600. IMO you want a T9. Really nice on road as plenty of grunt for overtaking.

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. I would go for a 999 a great bike, I know one that's coming up for sale soon ;)

• Like Like x 1
  4. I have an 05 749s, and love it. but...I do get left behind on straights by my mates on 1000's so am dreaming about a 999s engine in the future to close up a bit, or a 1098s eng if i can find/win or steal the money lol. IMO, I'd go for a 999s 2nd gen with black swing arm etc.

#4 Blakey749s, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  5. Easy, a T9 ( if you don't want to spend a lot on a 749R), the difference in performance that just 25 bhp provides between my base model T9 Bip and my 748S is surprising. It makes the T9 suitable for much wider selection of driving and it is deceptively quick on the road. If you want something which requires a lot more input go for the 749. I would not get too hung up about facelift ones, just go for the best value and condition

• Like Like x 1
  6. T9 is flexible. I can track mine, tour on it, commute. If I don't want to thrash it I can puttle on it and still make better progress than the traffic around me.

749, whilst lovely, will eventually disappoint as you will feel short of power and fed up with the additional cog swapping, compared to the T9, required to coax its performance from it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. T9......Theres no replacement for displacement....as the yanks have a habit of saying!:upyeah:

#7 yellowducmaniac, Jan 8, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2018
  8. Ride em both, pick your fave! :upyeah:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. 749R :upyeah:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. I went with my friend to Ducati Wolverhampton when he bought his Desmo. The owner at the time said that if he had to own one bike, it would be a 749R. :no_mouth:

I thought it strange at the time, but that's what he said. :cool:

11. 749R is a fantastic bike...I can understand why that bloke said what he said. You’d best try one out, they’re a riot!

• Like Like x 1
  12. A 749R is a different proposition from wanting to try out a 749 just to see if you like it. Apparently. : o )

• Like Like x 1
  13. If allowed to pick up only 1 bike from all I had (have) it would be the k8 750 gsxr.
    What advantages has the 999 over 749 in the real life?
    999 more torque.
    749 easier to flick from side to side.
    Road or track?
    For road I would pick 999 for track 749.

14. Wha?...

I had a 2003 749s. Didn't find it lacking, didn't find it slow, never had any complaints really. If you're getting left behind on the straights by litre bikes, don't worry as you'll catch them in the corners... and what are you doing on straight roads anyway? Sold it to buy a 2011 Fireblade... which I've now awoken from and replaced with ex @yellowducmaniac 2004 999s. Haven't ridden it yet, just cuddled it loads.

749s was not a slow bike though. If you think a 749s is too slow for the road then I'm sorry but hahahahahaahaahahaha.

As others have said, buy on condition... and yellowness. :cool:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. 749r here with 142Bhp at the rear wheel...... very quick...
    It would be hard to beat from A to B route with the right rider, assuming it wasn't across Salt flats.

• Like Like x 1
  16. So far then it seems for everyday all round riding the 999 makes more sense but if your riding is more spirited, ala more two stroke stylee, then a 749 but S or R model??

17. To use a 749R everyday you'd have to have the size and shape of this fella....
    But you ain't going to be able to see FA in them mirrors with those guns and ears
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  18. 749 vs 999.jpg

• Like Like x 1
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  19. Have you got a new arrow app exe?

20. No, in my day job I use them (annoy people) a lot to point out potential design issues o_O

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Drama Queen Drama Queen x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information