1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749s Firing On One Cylinder

Discussion in 'Technical Help' started by Skye Hook, Mar 15, 2020.

1. typical Spring optimism.New battery charged overnight and that started it,but sounds like one cylinder only,also smells of petrol,wont pick up fast on the throttle.
    Plugs?or faulty /Dirtyinjector?. I suppose these are the main options.
    So my question is,how easy or hard is it to get the injectors out for cleaning?
    any tips?

2. See if both exhaust get hot to see if it's running on 1. Don't blame me if you burn yourself.

• Funny Funny x 1
  3. Arnt 749s susseptable to damp or dirty coils particularly the front one, injector would be one of the last things on my list.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  4. as said, (hopefully) just the front coil. ^ :upyeah:

5. front exhaust is cold.

6. so is the coil easy to replace,whereabouts is that,and can i test it?

7. get the plug out first, dry it and heat it up in a gas flame or summit ...see if that cures it first!

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. It's on the front cylinder head behind the fairing Vee panel, directly onto the spark plug. Simplest test is to swap it with the rear one and see if the fault transfers with it.

Screen Shot 2020-03-15 at 13.04.49.png

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. NICE! did that,dried up the damp stuff,squirt of WD40 on the coil connectors,plug back in and she's a goer!!!thank you all so much,had enough doom and gloom for the moment and this is a WIN!

• Like Like x 7
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. No charge

• Like Like x 3
  11. Welllll...... took it for an MOT,came back in the pissing rain and after 5 miles started firing on one. hobbled back another 7 miles on that one pot.
    stripping the bike down,got and installed new plugs,and changed the coils around.Same thing.Starts up sometimes on two and then after a few seconds back to one and the yellow warning light is on,occasionally a splutter into two and the light goes out but inevitably returns to firing one one. front cyliner is the one not firing up despite changing coils.
    So,plugs and coils seem to be OK,whats next and how do i get there?

12. Chris,i changed the coils around,and the front one is now on top and working fine,so it is not the coils.maybe wiring to the front coil or pump/injector issues?

13. Sorry, didn't stop to read your post properly, so it's always front cylinder not running everytime? If so then front coil connector needs examining for corrosion and/or poor contact and also lead back to ECU and possibly ECU connector. Await others comments as it could be coil driver damage within ECU possibly but not my strong area. Also - what plugs out of interest?

#13 Chris, Mar 26, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. I’d put my money on the front coil connector. Having had a similar experience.

• Like Like x 3
  15. Any error code

16. i tried pressing the left side paddle with the ingnition on and got a number 5 in the lower left of the screen.
    Plugs are NGK as reccomended on here
    coil connector was a bit tricky to click back into place,the little orange rubber sleeve inside was damaged and would not compress fully.
    can i access that part of th wiring/ECU from the left panel?,as i have put the tank back on now.may be worth swapping out that part of the wiring?
    funny how it fires up first off and then off onto on,sometimes picking up the second cylinder again for a few seconds and the yellow light goes out.Runs smoothly when it dos run so injectors and fuel would be Ok i imagine?
    tinkering about is good,the Multi has been taken down to London for a service so that is Hostage to the Zombie Horde at the moment,and this fettling keeps me from thinking about what a ovely dry sunny day it is out there.

• Like Like x 1
  17. It took me half a day at Rockingham to find my problem. It would fire up and run fine for half a lap then drop the front cylinder. Swapped plugs, coils, spare coil. Before I cut open the multi plug and found a nasty green mess!
    20 mins later of soldering a fly lead on and a couple of super seal connectors. Job done.

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. ^ can't stress NM approach enough, meticulous examination of contacts with a good torch and if you can't find a guide to depressing the "keeper" tangs on metal connectors for removal then cutting open to gain full access will at least cross this off the list.

• Like Like x 1
  19. by the multi plug do you mean the connector to the coil?is this a length of wiring i can pull out and replace at all? if so where would i get hold of one?

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information