1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

749 749s Mono Initial Impressions

Discussion in '749 / 999' started by RC1, Aug 24, 2020.

1. So i finally got my paws on it after having bought it some weeks ago.
    - saw ad on AT with silly price of about 5.2k
    - got the chats in with seller bloke who had it for about 3 years but hadnt used it much as he wasnt getting on with the seating position although it was his second 749
    - did lots of background checking inc speaking to places where it was serviced and getting confirmation from ducati leeds that it was a factory mono
    - totted up what i needed to put into it to get it to my standard
    - agreed price subject to viewing with lovely seller bloke
    - went to view it in harrogate, shook hands, left deposit
    - left harrogate back to london via greggs and a nasty sausage roll
    - arranged collection using @Dirty Leeds
    - got it taken to @nelly who went through it
    - collected it today and drove about 120 miles down the m1 in some nasty weather after about half way

With the potted history done, here's what i think so far (last bike i rode was my 748r)
    - its so smooth
    - non peaky power delivery and very linear
    - light upshifts
    - very chuckable and confidence inspiring
    - i started to ache after the first 60 miles esp my arse and my knees (im a relatively fit 42 but not bike-fit)
    - doesnt feel that quick but speed builds quickly (if that makes sense)
    - the mirrors work like mirrors should (cf the 748)
    - makes you want to go round corners and roundabouts a lot

what i dont like
    - the seat pad is slidey
    - the rear brake is crap
    - it sounds rubbish
    - the pegs are not grippy enough

so overall im really happy and can see why these things are/were so popular. ill be thinking about:
    - termi silencer
    - suspension set up
    - new seat pad
    - rear sets
    - front number board

IMG_20200824_1727213.jpg

• Like Like x 6
  2. Yeah nice 1 ....at 42 you have a good number of years on it just keep up the yoga :upyeah:

It’s a keeper...when you are unbendy just display it and buy a multi

3. I resurrected my lovely yellow mono after 4 years in the shed and I still love it. I taxed it on 1st August and did 142 miles the next day and 110 the day after. I'm 62, my back has been f**ck*d for years, I've got sciatic pain in my left leg and a rotator cuff injury but it was great to be on it again.

I agree, the footrests are slippy but I've got a diffferent seat cover. Not too bothered about the noise but a number board would look good.

Lovely looking bike, enjoy.

• Like Like x 1
  4. you are my inspiration!! more pics pls!

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. Very nice:upyeah:.

6. Well done mate. Looks v nice. Looking forward to many ride outs. :upyeah:

7. I bought Oberon pegs, much grippier, had the seat recovered in grippier stuff, decat the exhaust for a nicer sound.

8. Hey @RC1 - you're in luck. :) I am selling my 999s and have a ProTwins race seat and an unfitted set of Jamie's chain adjusters that need to find a new home... DM me if interested?

• Like Like x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information