1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

750 Ss Restoration In Spain

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by adecarcer, Apr 7, 2015.

1. I feel for you! I am about to try turning the key as well - i'm sure I will face similar problems.

2. Tom,

Hes my advice, make sure your earths are good, replace standard earth on the rear offside of the engine to frame and the one from battery to the frame with chunkier fresh cable. Also the the starter cables if you havent already done so. The kill switch sounds dodgy, you may be able to take apart, I have previously done the left switch gear, its quite simple inside. Not sure about the right.

The cable or mechanism sounds like its sticking, make sure its not rubbing or catching cause it definately sounds like thats your problem there. If its another dash you need I may have one in the loft, I could send you just the circuit board at your postage expense if you need one?

Head up Tom, these things are sent to test you reserve. I have just finished mine more or less after 2 years off the road. I love it and I had a massive number of niggles and problems on the way. We are here for help and support to get you through to the end!

Its looking very very nice. Hes mine taken today. 20160625_131459.jpg Still gotta couple things to do. Loke neaten up those fuel lines. But that can wait till after MOT on Tuesday.

3. Your bike looks pristine!
    Thank you very much for the support ant the encouraging words. :)

Yeah,.. let's get back to the chain gang and fix all those little anoyances.

I appreciate very much your offering on the circuit board and would love to accept it.

This is how mi broken piece looks like IMG_20160625_203825[1].jpg

Sure you want to get ride of one?

Thanks in advance

4. Ill see if I can find it Tom

5. When I recently stripped and reassembled my carbs on an SS, the the butterfly valve was open about that much ... I can't recall them ever closing completely when turning the throttle stop out at reassembly checks. Perhaps someone else could confirm.
    I recall roughly balancing them at that stage by inspection of gap. Perhaps, they are always meant to have some air flow, incorporated into design....

Yet you say they used to close, and do so when you push the throttle back. Well, if it has a slack chord, then the shut off cable cannot be keeping it open unless there is a kink in it. You could simply detach it at the carb end and observe.

6. Thanks for the insight.

As far as I recall, carbs butterfly shuts completely. And they still do if I take the throttle grip to the end.
    Is only that they do not come back by menans of the spring. It looks like there is something blocking the shut off cable (possibly in the throttle lever body itself)

I will dissasembly the whole thing and post some pictures.

thxs

7. If the circuit board is just two pieces, Supaglue will stick it, but you will have to do a small solder repair over where the metal circuits have broken.........But I have a spare as well.

With the carbs, the butterflies should shut completely with no cables fitted (or with them completely slack)..........Pre-balancing can be done by using say, a paperclip or piece of wire as a feeler gauge to get them somewhere near equal.

I agree that something must be sticking in the twistgrip...........I had a similar problem and it was only because the rubber 'handle' of the twistgrip had crept too close to the actual plastic cable housing and binding against it.

Cable lengths may not necessarily be equal but if the adjustments are carried out by doing the shut-off cable first and then the other, you should be able to get them spot on........it is best too have a tiny bit more of slack in the 'pull' one to help the shut-off one work properly.

Some people actually remove the shut-off cable altogether so they just have the 'pull' one.........Both mine are OK.

Disconnect the choke cable while you are sorting it..........the choke mechanism is prone to being stiff if it is not assembled correctly.......those rubber/plastic inserts can jam it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. I think if I were going to repair something as thin as a circuit board, once having superglued the two haves together and soldered the broken circuit, I might be inclined to try and reinforce the repair by gluing something similarly stiff but non conductive to the back. A piece of non-printed circuit board perhaps??

9. I havent got round to looking yet been busy but will do, for circuit board, bear with me been a hectic week.

10. 20160703_173901.jpg Tom, found one

• Like Like x 1
  11. Wow!
    That is just what I need
    I would be more than happy to help you "getting rid" of it.

12. Been doing some tests today on the throttle cable arrangement and definitely looks like there is some "free" movement on the throttle grip that tends to get stuck whet the shut-off cable is bonded

I will try to install new cables and see if I can fix it. Keep you posted

13. Great thread, keep up the good work!

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. .. Yes they do close all the way, so they do! My attention to everything in front of me is not so reliable these days with so many things to grapple with - virtual reality, virtual marriage, and virtual (not virtuous) service, and virtual quality. :)

Anyway, @adecarcer assuming you're Spanish and kink isn't a word you're familiar with, 'kink' in the cable, means cable isn't running smoothly, and so is catching because of that. Of course that would likely be the case, assuming the throttle twist grip mechanism is good, and choke is OK, as mentioned above.

#214 chueewowee, Aug 8, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2016

15. This was totally the issue!

Ne cables where thicker than OEM and had a lot of friction internally when twisted towards the throttle grip.

Easy fix: New thinner cables and guides (same size as OEM) and now it goes like a breeze

Now everything is tidy :)

IMG_20160812_152844.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  16. Still some thinking needs to be done, as the new Brembo brake lever has a protruding nipple on the upper face and the double banjo bolt on the lower one that are righ in the middle of the way of the throttle cables eiter if you place it upwards or downwards... :( :(

IMG_20160617_182000.jpg

Anyhow, some good progress has been made, as all the carburetor and throttle structure is in place and tidy

IMG_20160812_152738.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  17. Finally, Some beautiful cosmetics that I'm very happy with.

A carbon fiber rear fender!

IMG_20160812_152927.jpg

And also chain IMG_20160812_152958.jpg guard and sprocket cover.

Perfectly matching my front fender and all courtesy of RSR MOTO Quality motorcycle carbon fibre at competitive prices.

I may say that Richard Gilbert at RSR moto is a very nice gentelman, helpful and always answering any doubt.
    Plus he also carries very nice prices on the ducati bits.

That's all for now.

I was planning to start some road testing this week but throttle not yet finished adn some minor electrics (you better fix 'em when the bike is open) have restrained me for a while.

Now leaving on summer holidays with the whole family

Bye to the bike :)

IMG_20160812_153301.jpg

Hello beach!

HomerMargeBeach.gif

By the way, today it was my wife final medical examination..

She's got definitely rid of the stupid cancer!!
    Let's enjoy summer

ad_170980388.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  18. Well spotted!
    I've had rouble with pattern clock cables: clock union nuts wouldn't fit.
    Happy holidays.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Fantastic looking bike , brilliant workshop, and superb news about your wife!, congratulations

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Thank you very much!

Do Not Sell My Personal Information