1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

750 Ss Restoration In Spain

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by adecarcer, Apr 7, 2015.

1. A great very interesting read, with a lot of info for a newbie Ducati owner(me!). I had my top triple clamp off the other day and was trying to work out how to remove the ignition switch. Now I know. I also recon there would more than one person out there interested in your replacement battery box if they were available to buy.

• Like Like x 1
  2. What a great build!
    Its gone be a stunning bike to ride around in Madrid with and making excursions to La Sierra!

3. Thank you for the comments.

And for the heads up.. I've been awfully busy with many other issues in my life and, somehow, the orange lady has been missattended.

There has been very little advances since summer, as I got involved in too much work.

the only forward movements I've done have benn finishing up the hole dashboard support

This how it looks in all it's full 3d printed glory!

IMG_20170930_122106.jpg
    As you can see, the warning lights box fits perfectly well inside

IMG_20170930_121956.jpg

The transparent plastic icons need to be refurbished (I'm planning to do it with coloured film and a good laser printer.) but the fitting is perfect.

An this is how it looks with the new tacho (coming from the amazing Speed-Hut guys in USA)

IMG_20170930_121723.jpg

Its amazing how thin this taylor made gauges are. there is now plenty of space behind the indicators to hide cabling

IMG_20170930_121620.jpg

Still need to cut the 1mm alluminium plate that will cover the front of the dash.

Other than that, no major improvement has been made.

I began doing some color testing on the rear seat cowling to imagine a potential final outcome, and this is a testing picture.

IMG_20171109_181450_HDR.jpg

the idea is to keep the orange strip and the white roundels and substitute the "grey" area for waterprinted carbon fiber imitation to match the rear hugger and front fender and draw the eye attention to the shinny mirror chromed tank.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Now for the real bad news...

She does not start.!!

No matter what i do there is no spark on the plugs.

There is current up to the coils (tested)
    There are new high performance coils in place (pictures soon)
    Starting motor works fine and engine turns
    but I cannot obtain any spark on the ignition...

It looks like she will have to go to the Ducati shop to find out where I have made the mistakes.. :( :( :(

Any advice from the group?

5. Current to the coils but not from the coils? Could you have wired the coils incorrectly somehow?
    @Derek and @Arquebus are really good on SSs

6. Bike does look lovely :)

7. Thanks for the appreciation

Coils are properly wired as there is full conductivity and correct Ohm. resistance between all ends.

It looks more like an issue on the pick-up coils or broken CDI
    Less likely the CDI as those electronic pieces were functioning all right and they are very sturdy. Most likely the pick-up broken after opening the alternator.. (maybe but not 100% sure)

If there was a method to be fully sure where the issue is before starting to open the engine again.. (sigh)

Maybe Al or Derek could bring some light on this? (c'mon you sorcerers-that-know-all!! come out form the shadows and help your spanish amigo :) :) )

8. You'd think it might be firing on one cylinder if something were broken though.
    As you essentially have two separate systems, troubleshooting is usually helped by swapping components from one to the other, then seeing which component carries the fault across.

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. So test:
    - AC VOLTAGE at PICKUP COIL - starter motor engaged
    Disconnect plug form CDI; Should be 0.3-0.5 VAC. peak voltage produced by most sensors is around 5volts. - indication that you are not getting a full sweep suggests defective pickups but first finish remaining checks
    - VOLTAGE FROM CDI - ignition on
    - PULSE VOLTAGE from CDI - starter engaged/motor running - Look for needle swing, normally about 250-500volts

- PICKUP SHORT CHECK (ohms) - CDI disconnected
    pickup sensor "crosstalk" -or- shorting is possible since they share a common ground, resulting in one sensor triggering the wrong coil, and unpredictable symptoms
    One test lead on ground and test lead to each feed wire in turn, should read infinity on all 4 OR suspect pinched or broken wiring out of alternator case, e.g at gland. Possibility of hard-to -see intermittent fault, caused by engine vibration, bad earth or heat.

- DC VOLTAGE SUPPLY - CDi TO SENSOR
    Disconnect CDI, Ignition ON, one lead to ground: LH cylinder +1/2v (0.5v) RH cylinder = +1/2v (0.5v) With good power at CDI, but not after going through the pickup, suspect a short in pickup or wiring. You would have seen a break in the wire with the ohm test.

- DC VOLTAGE PICKUP COIL to Ground (leakage)
    Measure the voltage on the CDI wiring harness to ground; more than a few tenths of a Volt indicates a ground problem with the wire harness.

- CONTINUITY/OHMS CHECK PICKUP COILS
    Checks the basic properties of the pickup coil. It doesn't really tell you FOR SURE if its working.

- CONTINUITY/OHMS CDI

- crossed pickup wires at cdi plug

• Like Like x 1
  10. Sorry that you have run into trouble - electrical issues are the worst! I have no help to offer except good wishes.

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. Try and be helpful and get a dislike. Nice...

• Like Like x 1
    • Love You Love You x 1
  12. THat's not an electrical fault! .... I think that's manual error (vis. parallax vision and hand to eye coordination)... it wasn't not me, though.

I gave you a like to make up for it - bit of a bodge but should restore things.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information