1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

750ss Cafe Racer. First time project

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by FlatLine, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Aww shucks

Next time I will get it correct, well maybe:smile:

2. Hi Flatline,

Interesting project you've got going on there. It should be possible to fit almost any wheels to any forks, it's just a case of how much aggro it causes. Generally the wheels themselves are easy enough, although you might need to make up spacers or a custom spindle. It's the discs which can be tricky. You might need to space the discs out a bit or have special discs made with custom offsets.

WW

• Like Like x 1
  3. Or shim the calipers further in as I did when I put usd forks on my 907.

4. Update June 2013

Been a long time and quite a few things happened to get in the way of the build Finally got the exhausts sorted
    Also cut down the rear of the frame, welding in a new piece
    Now need to get the rear curved end made
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  5. Update June 2013. Stuck on electrics

What is holding up the build is the electrics
    As suggested by several people, I am using a Monster loom which is (supposedly) from a bike of the same year (1992)
    However all the connectors are different
    This shows the RH switch cable connector: 750 on first, Monster on second

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's the same with the other cables, all different
    The monster loom also has three relays, where all the wiring diagrams point to only having 2..........wtf??

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    So to the questions:
    1. If the Monster loom is from a 1992 model, should it have the same connectors?
    2. Anyone know what the third relay is for?
    3. Finally, are there any electrical guys in the Leeds area?
    I have spoken to a couple and get "Oh its a ducati, sob sob, the wiring is so hard to work on" Bunch of tossers

Cheers

6. nah, it's DUCATI owners who are so hard to work on :)

7. Flatline, some of your picture links are broken, can you re-instate the wiring loom ones?

maybe we can help with the loom itself. What you might find helpful is getting hold of the wiring diagram of both bikes and laying them side by side, then you'll see just how similar they are - in reality those looms are a piece of piss to work on, and you'll probably find the relays are the same. The only difference will be that as the monster didn't have a fairing they had to package the wiring differently in order to make it prettier, after all on the SS it's all hanging like a bad case of piles behind the headlamp fairing!

Connectors can be changed, and if we see what type of connector they are we can identify them and then you can choose which ones work for you. lovely work... damn clever you welderists :upyeah:

#28 Sev, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2013
  8. There should be only two relays on a carb SS........

A third relay seems to suggest 'injectors'.

AL

#29 Ghost Rider, Jun 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 25, 2013
  9. Maybe a sidestand cutout? or fan relay if watercooled?

10. nice work love the exhaust :upyeah:

11. The third (smaller) relay is indeed for the sidestand cutout switch. The grey wire is the trigger from the cutout switch itself, the other three being input/output power lines. I think (but not certain) that all early monsters had just a warning light for the sidestand, rather than the cutout system fitted to later models. Not sure whether the early ones had the relay or not, but my 2000 M750 has one. Maybe your loom is from one of the later models. Also, the black connectors are Tyco AMP Superseal. Try "Auto Electric Supplies" for spare parts for them. There's also a handy document on the net showing how they are assembled. They're a tad fiddly to work with, but ok once you've got the knack. Best tools I've found for dismantling them are a pin with the head slightly ground down (to pull out the anti back-out device) And a needle to release the spring tab that retains the terminals.

12. Flatline, if they're AMP superseal then you'll need a decent set of crimpers than your communal garden halfords jobs.

The pins crimp the weather seal and the wire at the same time, and a decent crimper will have the saddles to do this. Whereabouts are you?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. if you come across any problems with them or can't find anyone round your way I'm sure we can sort something out, even it its sunding me the loom sections and I'll crimp them and send them by return.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I would like to take this opportunity to say a big thank you to Sev for the offer of help with the loom. Luckily I am able to get the whole bike to someone that can help. Thanks to everyone for the info and advice :upyeah:

15. I'm wondering if you might have a later monster loom, as I think the early ones ( with sidestand warning light rather than cutout ....up to '99) didn't have the sidestand switch relay ...maybe someone replaced the original loom on your donor bike ...? One way to check this might be to look for the connectors to the electric carb heaters (which also weren't fitted to earlier bikes). On my bike (2000 M750) that's a single blue wire with a simple bullet connector (at least that's how it is on the left side...I didn't look on the right but I imagine the wire colour will be the same). This would also give you the option of fitting the electric heaters (if you're using std carbs) but they don't really work very well. Still, if you have the wiring, and a late set of carbs with the heater elements fitted, they may be better than nothing and at least keep carb icing at bay a little longer in borderline conditions. And anyway, if you do have them, you'll be wondering what the blue wires are for, I guess.

16. Mine's a '99 and is the early type with stand warning light and 2 relays (main power and indicator flasher).

17. It lives. Been a long time. Life gets in the way sometimes. Anyway, some things have been done to the bike
    We're getting there
    Monster Loom fitted
    Monster speedo
    Exhausts by Fecked, though they are too loud so looking for similar that are quieter...........suggestions?
    Double disks on the front to balance the look
    Fired up first time after 5 yrs.......hoorah!
    All done without any welding skills, just "Oh well, gotta learn sometime"
    The indicators have been removed from the seat

[​IMG][/IMG] file3325.jpg IMG_20170802_141535861_HDR.jpg

• Like Like x 3
  18. Dam, it's overtaken my project now :(

Do Not Sell My Personal Information