1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

796 Values

Discussion in 'Monster' started by richgilb, May 12, 2019.

1. Been waiting a couple of years for a non-ABS one at a good price now. Considering list price was 7 grand and everyone preferred the 1100, I was hoping prices would have dropped to close to 3k by now. Still can't seem to get one for under 4. Some people even asking over 5 (perhaps for ABS, not sure).

Whats going on? Am I dreaming? I could get an 848 of the same year at some of these asking prices.

2. It's always the same, when you want something it's like rocking horse shit and costs the earth, when you don't want one they are free.

• Like Like x 1
  3. @richgilb Nice bikes, I bought one on Ebay earlier this year for £3200 but the seller cancelled and returned my deposit. I guess he received a better offer after accepting mine.
    I think the only place you will find one close to £3k will be Ebay or Gumtree , if I see any I`ll let you know.

• Like Like x 1
  4. I bought mine about two years ago for I think 4750. It had only done 3k miles, it's now done 9k miles . Could probably sell it for virtually no loss.
    My dad recently sold his 821 monster, these seem to be making very little money though. it was a 2015 with minimal miles on it and I think it went for 5k.

5. Why don’t you go for an 1100? Great bike, looks the same!

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. And probably more for sale!

7. Agree, and a lot more grunt

8. Why are the 821s depreciating faster? If they can be got for 5 grand, I'd rather upgrade to one.

9. I had an 1100 evo. Fancied one a bit lighter and easier to chuck around.

Head shakes were an issue too.

10. Is the 796 lighter?

11. I must confess I can now only find evidence of it being 2kg lighter and thought I had previously seen 6 or 7 somewhere...

12. Go for an 1100 again then.

13. Or an 1100S, 168kg dry and lots of Ohlins & CF bling as standard :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Not sure if you still have your 1100 supersport but once you have ridden with an 1100 air cooled Ducati engine you may find the huge grunt addictive. I have been lucky enough to do lots of miles on many different monsters from 600 to 1200 and while the 821 is a great all round bike it is IMO too revvy. Standard gearing means at 70mph the engine is just under 6000rpm give or take if I remember correctly and I found that too buzzy . Everything else about it I found great. Handling, ride and comfort but I dont like revvy engines so instead went for a 1200. Horses for courses , I`m sure plenty of riders love their 821s .

15. 6000rpm at 70mph? Jeez. On my 1100S 70mph in 6th = 4000rpm with a really flat torque curve it’s just twist & go, brilliant fun. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. How do they manage that? The evo motor is 6kg lighter than the DS.

17. I sold it.....but I do miss the delivery. I felt I did not need the 100bhp though. I was never ringing its neck except on a track. I currently ride a Blade and it is much too fast really.

18. Or did I get it wrong? The 1100s has the evo engine anyway?

19. Ah the Marchesini rims might save nearly that. Are they cheaper rims on the evo?

20. No idea :confused: but that's the stated dry weight of it. It does have Marchesini wheels as standard and a fair few bits of carbon-fibre rather than the usual fittings. It could easily shed another 4-5kg by removing the massive hangers the footpads, front and rear, attach to and then fitting rear-sets and not bothering with the pillion pegs. Then so what, when I'm 97Kg and the next fella is 75kg, it seems weird to have a fixation on bike weight. Anyway, weight aside, it's just the sheer grunt of that 1078cc air-cooled engine that's addictive:D

Do Not Sell My Personal Information