1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

1200 DVT 8 Months Into Ownership ... The Progress So Far ....

Discussion in 'Multistrada' started by RichW, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Ok, so the screen.

When i bought the bike back in August last year it came with a Ducati touring screen (Pt.No:97110261A) fitted, looks nice IMO ...

IMG_5323.JPG

View from behind....

IMG_5368.JPG

However the buffetting from this screen was very bad (I am just over 5'7" tall). We are talking ears ringing with earplugs fitted, as bad as that.

I tired some screen spacers from the usual suspect on here but they didnt really do anything. Buffetting remained.

So i then thried rding th bike with no screen.WOW! Fantastic! Nice smooth air over the front of the bike, great! So a small screen it is then! Que borrowing a friends screen for the evenings ride out....

IMG_6916.JPG

A Puig Sports Screen. However the buffetting returned to some extent. Definitely better as there was less of it, but still there. Later that evening i tried the spacers with the Puig, the spacers tilt the screen to slightly higher angle, and you have the gap around the screen too to possibly reduce air pressure build up but there was still some buffeting.

OK, so i need smaller screen still! Hence where we have got to now...

IMG_2772.JPG

IMG_2773.JPG

This screen is good up until i get to around 80, at that point there is quite a roar of windcoming over the screen. After a 20 minute blast down the motorway last weekend @ 85 both mine and My partners ears were ringing! hmmm, so nect up i guess i'll be trying the spacers (again!) though i doubt they will help given previous experience.

So when funds allow i will be taking the plunge and buying a Pikes Peak screen and see how that is. Shame as i was hoping the small Powerbronze would have been the answer, and to some extenet it is, but it's no good for long distance motorway work unfortunately.

The brake reservoir cap... now theres another story! The oem Brembo cap was leaking fluid, i read about the caps warping and theres some kind of recall possibly? I thought as a stop gap until the bike goes in for a service i would fit an alloy aftermarket cap and stop the leak that way. Unfortunately this hasnt worked and i am still getting fluid leaking past the seal for some reason. So for now i have sealed it with electricians tape as i dont want to risk damage to the bike from brake fluid. Anyone know about the recall / replacement of the reservoir caps?

IMG_2771.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  2. good post, lots of decent ideas.
    where did you buy the guard?

3. small screen is the future, it all depends on your height too.
    I went through the same process of no screen then cut sown the original a few times.
    ended up with the puig sport screen, seems to cure most problems.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Hi RichW.
    The reservoir on my multistrada 67 plate started to leak so called up the dealership.They order the parts,(master cylinder and seal)bike booked in and was replaced under warranty. Been ok since.

• Like Like x 1
  5. I plan to have the next service carried out by a main dealer and I am going to mention it then, hopefully get it done on a good will basis possibly, if not then I will pay as I would prefer it to be oem. Also need to get the pin changed on it too, I’ll be buggered if the key packs in!

Thanks for the heads up :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  6. This week i've been on with a couple of things ... preapring for the TT thats fast arriving and also looking at what mods i can do for the horrific wind noise i'm getting. And i have a cure! For me that is. Its pretty much common knowedge that a small screen give a nice clean flow of air across the rider and so thats the direct i've been heading, and although better with the small screen its still bad.

So whats the cure? An even smaller screen? To try and replicate that i was thinking of all kinds of things i could use for a screen, and then thought why not just lower the existing one? Bring on the sticky tape and ty-wraps....

IMG_3137.JPG

IMG_3138.JPG

IMG_3142.JPG

View attachment 155836

So basically a sponge between the screen and bodywork, ty-wraps to hold it in position and away we go. Well into 3 figures and not one bit of noise or turbulence! brilliant! The cure!!!

All i have to do now is cut the screen down for real and *hopefully* thats me sorted. I wont be able to get it quite as low as as it is in the shots due to the top fixings but i shouldnt be too far off? Maybe i can use the spacers i bought from Jaime to lower it and not even have to cut the scree at all? Will have to check that out tomorrow. But even so, making progress.

In other news i wound the headight down a couple of turns as it was too high whilst riding two up, will see what diffwerence that has made next time im out in the dark i guess.

:)

IMG_3140.JPG

• Like Like x 1
  7. Oh, the car ..check out this thread for the whole history of the car in my ownership.. and also my own website for more info about it if there isnt evnough there lol. Cheers.

[​IMG]

• Love You Love You x 1
  8. Is that lovely Evo for sale?

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. Now that's low, guess what I'm trying tomorrow

• Like Like x 1
  10. Good work and thanks for posting it. Be interested to know how the pillion fairs at speed with the short short screen, buffeting etc?

My pots leaked. Dealer sorted it at service. Result. In the mean time I bought fancy lids but didn’t fit them.
    Hope the pots don’t leak again when I do fit them.

Enjoy the TT.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. I have got my multistrada to acceptable wind noise with a low screen but I really notice the difference when I ride my 999.
    It is amazing at any speed, I can ride at motorway speeds with my visor up, couldn't do that on a multistrada.
    The wife starts to moan at 70 plus, not ideal for a touring bike.

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Bookmarked for bed time reading :)
    Nice history lovely looking

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  13. So the newest edition to the bike is a Givi TanklockED bag, and very handy it is too. The bag actually locks onto the bike, stopping unauthorised removal, and also features loops on the zipper so that can also be locked with a small luggage type lock.

An added bennifit also seem's to be that is has reduced wind noise from the screen, which i guess would make sense as it has in effect filled the void behind the screen and so the way that the wind is moving has now changed - for the better.

Few pics for your consideration...

IMG_3119.JPG

IMG_3166.JPG

IMG_3121.JPG

I can definitley say that it isnt waterproof and so you'll need to use the rain cover thats supplied with it, and apparently your phone will over heat in the holder thats also supplied if the suns bright, but even so, a handy bit of kit to have. One last word, i've had to remove the phone holder that i had on the handle bars as i had limited lock with bag attached, so now looking at a different mount for the phone.

• Like Like x 1
  14. For you, so it may be. For me, the total opposite.

I have fitted a taller screen than standard, on its highest setting, and with a Touratech deflector attached to the top. This is about right for continental motorways. I find any shorter screen hopeless.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. Just goes to show, the screen and how it effects you is so personal and such an individual thing.

16. So some changes - I'm a fully paid up Subscriber! Yay! I firmly believe in paying your way, this forum has been a great source of information and i kinda like it around here so why not? I also find Facebook groups a very source of information but once its gone on there its gone, traditional forums appear in searches and are always there to be referenced from. Facebook isnt but ppl dont seem to care about that. Shame. But if i can support i will, and i am.

So the most recent event, With the TT fast approaching I thought I would invest in a top up of the engine oil and so rang the supplying Honda main dealer in Manchester to see what oil they put in it last year. The conversation went a long the lines of

Me: "Hi There, i bought a bike from you last year and was wondering what oil you used when you serviced it?"
    Dealer: “Castrol”
    Me: "OK, so would you mind telling me what kind of Castrol?"
    Dealer: "Just the stuff out the big barrel in the workshop"

...At this point I’m thinking really??!

Me: "what type of Castrol?"

I can then hear the person on the phone asking the person sat next to them...

Dealer: "10-30 Semi-synthetic" came the reply.....

I gave up at that point. Quite clearly they need to employ some better staff in the service department.

Now this wouldn’t have been too bad if the bike was and earlier model and not the DVT. However for the DVT Ducati are saying the oil has to be a 15W50, and preferably of the Shell Advanced Ultra 4T variety.

Cool. Now I need an oil change one week before going to the Isle of Man!

Let the phone calls begin. First train of thought is to get the bike in for an oil service, i’ve owned the bike a year in August anyway.

Ducati Leeds – oil service cost £230 :confused: but cannot do until at least the last week in July.

Ducati Sheffield – oil service cost £260 :eek: ... and can fit me in 11th June.

“Ducati John” (Leeds Independent - search google) – Turns out he is not really doing much with the later models as he doesn’t have the diagnostic equipment for resetting timers and the like. Damn. OK, so can you supply just the oil and filter I asked? Of course, no problem!

Edited to say - John seems a great guy, certainly has great credentials hence the nick name, some really nice machinery in his workshop. Good Luck to him and the future of his business, if i ever buy another 996 i know where it'll be going for any work i cannot do.

Anyway, one Hi-Flo oil filter, 5 Litres of correct Shell 15W50 for £55. Jobs a good ‘un and I will have plenty of oil left for topping up should I need to!

I dropped the oil out with no issues, though upon seeing the restricted access for tightening the oil filter back up a quick ride to Halford’s saw me returning with a an oil filter cup (as they are called) and also a 3/8” female to ½” male adaptor so I could use the smaller of my torque wrenches in conjunction with the only 5mm allen key socket I own with is ½” ! It’ll come in handy again I have no doubt.

IMG_3229.JPG

The sump bolt is an allen key 5mm jobbie - luckily i had one...

IMG_3205.JPG

Next off was the oil filter. Genuine i may add! Makes me wonder if it actually got changed though i must admit lol.

IMG_3208.JPG

Beacuse the engine was cold left the bike over night to completely drain...

IMG_3209.JPG

Ducati recomend using some sealer on the sump bolt and so I used some Wurth Super RTV (which by the way is very good stuff and is normally used for sealing the sumps on Mitsubishi rally cars) ..... unfortunately it had set in the spout so had to give it a stab with a sharp impliment to get some out, which worked but not quite to how i wanted ....

IMG_3222.JPG

Oh well. I smeared some around the copper washer and tightened the sump bolt to 20NM as per the workshop manual.

There didn’t seem to be much pressure needed though so I re-adjusted the wrench to 22NM and tried again. It just clicked. So I set the wrench to 24NM and tried that but alas the torque wrench once again just clicked as it torqued out. Oh well, at least its set to what Ducati have specified so it should be tight enough.

IMG_3226.JPG

I then left the bike over night while the sealer set.

The next day I filled the new oil filter up with fresh oil and screwed it on, tightening to the prescribed 11NM as stated by Ducati. Once again at didnt seem very tight but when i tried to turn it by hand and it wouldnt move. Although not Ducati the HiFlo filter credentials are certainly good with the german TUV approval stamp...

IMG_3250.JPG

I then proceeded to refil the engine with oil.

IMG_3251.JPG

After pouring in 3.2lt of oil (inc. the fliter top up before fitting) I saw the full amount showing in the engines sight glass. Strange i thought given Ducati are saying 4.1lts.

A quick search on here i saw people had expereinced the same thing (see what i mean about being able to reference forums unlike Facebook?).

I started the engine noting that the oil light didnt stay on and ran the bike for a couple of minutes. Switched it off and waited serveral minutes for the oil level to show. It took an age can tell you! It settled on "low" position in the sight glass. Anther 200ml it was back up showing "full". So in total 3.4lts.

Just to be sure I measured the old oil that i dropped out - exactly 3.4lts!

Happy days :upyeah::cool::cool::cool:

#38 RichW, May 25, 2019
    Last edited: May 25, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  17. Has your bike still got a factory warranty on it as if you have a problem and need to claim for anything they might pick up on the fact that a Hiflo oil filter has been fitted?

18. There is no warranty left on the bike, otherwise I would have made sure I only used an original filter. I actually intended to use one but time constraints meant using what I could get hold of fast. To be fair though the filter is TUV approved to perform at least as good as oem and I guess to get that approval takes some stringent tests.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information