1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

821 - Hypermotard Or Hyperstrada

Discussion in 'Hypermotard' started by brimo, Jun 19, 2022.

1. I need some advice. I'm looking for 821 Hyper and am a bit confused whether to go for Hypermotard or Hyperstrada. I had monster 696 as the first big bike. I owned it for 3 years and did around 10k. Then, I bought crashed supersport 2017 and sold it after 4-5 months. I did it because I didn't like it at all. I used to use monster for short trips for shopping and for longer ones as well (50-150miles). But SS was just to heavy for me to use it around town. When i sold it I bought a temporary bike, yamaha mt03 660, and I know enjoy riding a bike as I used to do when i had monster. The troubles is my leather trousers are Ducati, so they don't match the bike.
    If i had a shop nearby with either of bikes I would just take them for a test ride but that's not an option. For some reason I can see that Hyperstrada was more expensive as a new bike but when it comes to a second-hand they seem to be cheaper.

2. Depends what you want to use it for, I'm on my 2nd hyperstrada and have chosen them deliberately instead of the hypermotard as j use it for a mix of commuting and fun but my commute includes a good stretch of motorway and then crossing London, the Hyperstrada has the advantage of the panniers and you can get a top box mount, a decent screen is alrrady fitted and is still fun to ride.

3. Hyperstrada gives you an easily-adjustable rear shock, bespoke panniers, centre stand (I think), small screen and, I think, (need to consult my manual) less suspension travel. A lot more expensive that the equivalent 821 or 939 Hypermotard when new but, as you say, potentially cheaper 2nd-hand. A lot rarer than the already rare-ish 'motard.
    You should be able to download the owner's manuals from the Duc website to see what the major differences are.

4. From when I considered buying a Strada they’re cheaper on account that generally they’ve higher miles as they’re a touring biased bike.

The bars are 20mm higher, screen, centre stand, Two 12V power outlets and panniers. Be careful though as some haven’t the panniers when I looked to purchase.

5. Depends on what you want, they are totally different animals.

6. Change your bike trousers. Easier, cheaper and you say you enjoy the Yamaha so why get rid ?

Both Hypers are very different riding positions to a Monster. I tried both but couldn`t get on with them at all . Plenty on here have them and rave about them though .

7. Lovely bike the Hyper, really miss mine. The 'strada has the centre stand, adjustable rear shock, screen, 12 V outlet and the panniers. It is also a bit lower as I recall. From comments made by others, it is easy to scrape the centre stand when attacking the twisty bits.

I bought three passenger grab rails that go in the 'strada for my Hyper and fitted a Givi bracket and plate to take a top box. It wasn't easy to find, but worked very well.

Good luck deciding.

8. There was a newish 950Hyper parked up at work recently. He'd added a screen, a top-box rack and so on to make it 'strada-like.
    It looked awful to me, but it clearly works for him as there was no 'strada 950. Surprised he didn't buy a Multi...:thinkingface:

9. Probably the same reason I went Hyperstrada, Multistrada and back to a Hyperstrada, for his use the Multistrada as good as it is is probably too big and not enough fun... my Multistrada was a great bike but for my use, no patch on my Hyperstrada.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Not an option, I really like my trousers :). Honestly, my issue with yamaha is that i feel a bit like i was riding junior bike. It's a bit too small in size or perhaps it's the seat pushing me too much forward.
    What was your issue with the riding position?

Plenty of short "excuses" to take the bike out of shed like buying a bottle of milk 2miles away. I could do it on monster, I do it on yamaha but I didn't do it on SS. I'm not worried about longer trips, all of the bikes I've had were ok for it as I'm not doing trips to europe. It's all about the short trips which are pain on a big/too heavy bike.

11. Have a look on https://cycle-ergo.com/ Enter the bikes you are considering and add your height and leg length then you`ll see your riding position on any bike.
    On both hypers it felt like I was sitting too far forward and that my hands were almost level with my shoulders. They weren`t of course but that is how it felt.

12. Thanks, I forgot about this website. After further researching I'm leaning towards hyperstrada. Based on what's available on the market they are definitely cheaper even when we find a 1:1 match mileage for both.

Do Not Sell My Personal Information