1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

821 Tyre Question

Discussion in 'Tyres' started by Bikerbabe, May 7, 2019.

1. Has anyone changed from the standard 180/60 (Rosso 2) tyres on an 821 Monster? I am thinking of moving to 180/55 Michelin 5.
    Any suggestions as to whether they alter the TC/performance??
    I ride about 5k miles per year - mixed main roads and smaller country roads.

2. Michelin and Pirelli have different ideas on how a tyre should look so comparing different profiles is going to be a challenge unless someone has done it. Usually you would expect a 55 profile to have a smaller rolling radius than a 60 profile, so you will actually be going marginally slower than your speedo is telling you. The lower profile will also potentially change the way the bike feels when you lean into a bend to. The taller profile tends to tip in quickly so the lower profile could make the turn in feel slower. I mistakenly put a 50 profile on my Multistrada (instead of a 55) and there was no noticeable affect on the traction. If you were talking the more sophisticated traction on a Panigale, it might be different but on the Monster ? I shouldn’t think so. Plenty of good makes out there so if I wanted a change, I’d find a manufacturer who did the 60 profile but that’s me. Andy

3. Thanks - Snell's tell me that there is no other option unless I choose a straight racing profile tyre - which is definitely not for road-riding. It's only the 821 with a 180/60 out there. Ducati like to make life difficult!

4. Going to a 55 opens up a number of manufacturers not just Michelin. I’m a great fan of Metzeler and they do the Roadtech 01 which I have on my Multistrada and the Z8 which my girlfriend has on her Scrambler Icon. Both good tyres. Bridgestone and Continental are also getting good write ups. If you use Snells, you are not that far from Micheldever tyres at Micheldever Station, who have a dedicated bike ride in ride out service on a wide range of competitively priced tyres. I’ve used them for all my tyres, car, bike and track for many years. Andy

5. My concern is that changing the profile will change the handling and mess with the (original) mapping for the TCS ... hence my question as to whether anyone else has an 821 and has moved away from the original Rossi 180/60 spec.
    Russ tyres (Portsmouth) did mention the 01 as an option - but I would have liked to know who (if anyone) has changed from the Rossi's before I take my 821 out of original spec.
    (I am 45 miles south and east of Snell's, so Micheldever is a long way for tyre change).

6. Hopefully someone who has an 821 and done the tyre change will reply soon. Andy

• Like Like x 1
  7. Thread moved and title changed to suit

Do Not Sell My Personal Information