1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

851 Worth?

Discussion in '851 / 888' started by Sambighair, Sep 30, 2017.

1. What would you pay for a 1990 851 strada, full service history , 2 owners, 10k on the clocks and verified by mots ( every one present) termi cans and a few carbon bits?
    Ive been offered one and am very tempted but have no real idea of what they are worth these days!
    On a side note, out if interest,what kind of price would you let yours go for, if at all ?
    Cheers Sam

2. I am more into the SP versions (own a SP3), but I would guess the bike described above (in good shape) would be worth about € 5.000 here in Holland?

• Like Like x 2
  3. Really really well kept and very clean. Not concours mint but very clean none the less

4. Has the seller asked you to come up with your own price for his bike, or has he told you what he wants for it?

5. He's said make him a offer so i tried 5k after seeing the thread of the one Andy bought. He said he wants closer to double but is willing to negotiate.

• Funny Funny x 2
  6. So he'll take £7500 then ;)

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Depending on how much he wants to sell it and how much you want to buy it. If he's happy to keep and you really want will be pricey. If you're not that bothered and he needs space/cash then will be cheap. My first thought was between 5 and 10k.

• Like Like x 1
  8. it's a private sale i'm guessing - as above, prices seem up in the air but at that mileage and with reliable service/vehicle history price has to be £5K plus. If it's your first 851 then it would be arguably worth paying more/over the odds for the experience.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I've seen a few good ones for £5 to £6K with low miles recently, I would wait and scour the ads if you want one.

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. Cheers you lot! It is very clean and just had a fresh mot (9 days ago) and a full service with a receipt for 700 quid, belts n all.
    It will be my first 851 and I am willing to pay for a really good one. Love the look of that era so its either a 851/888 or if that fails an exceptional white frame 900ss

• Like Like x 1
  11. Has it got showa usd or marzocchi M1R forks.
    Later with showa are more des and more £££.
    A lot of M1R bikes have been upgraded to showa which probably affects value.

12. Good info thank you! Im not sure and will check!

13. If it's a standard bike I wouldn't pay much more than 5K, maybe up to 6K if it was peach

14. If I was spending circa 10K I'd want an SP or a special 888

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  15. For a non sp?! Would need to be mint and no miles. There have been a few hanging about quite a while in eBay at 5-6k bracket.

IMO, obviously :upyeah:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Thinking again; If I was looking for an 851, as you are, and it's a nice and genuine bike I'd pay 7.5 for it. What's the chance of you finding a better genuine bike with so few owners and so low miles in the near or semi-distant future for less money?

If you don't know yourself - try and get someone (pay them) who knows about these bikes to have a look at and listen to it for you, take their advice :upyeah:

17. Thank you for your input!

#18 Sambighair, Oct 1, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2017
  18. when you think of what they achieved, what they did for rescuing Ducati/Cagiva at the time, the whole package, the looks (the wacky seat unit*), you won't regret it in terms of sampling a bit of motorcycle history. When I stop riding i think my 851 will be the last to go. There is a whole wealth of knowledge on here/other Forums and particularly the dedicated 851/888 Forum (you are probably already a member?)

*particularly like the early mono version, still tempted to get one in c/f when someone makes another batch.

• Like Like x 1
  19. End of the day it’s worth what you will pay for it :)

Do Not Sell My Personal Information