1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

888 / St4 Hybrid Project

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by darko, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Where abouts are you? I bought a couple pipes so I could mess around and get it right.. It looks like you need to come out straighter and further from the head then a sharp bend so the straight part goes down through the gap.

2. Thanks Till, I'm in the Isle of Man, Im wondering about cutting the pipe to make it fit (that I can manage) and then see about getting someone locally to weld it back. Im pretty sure its stainless tubing which I don't think I can get bent into the right shape due to the strength of it ?

3. It is stainless and I wouldn’t try bending it. Cut it and get it welded, I thought you were in London,in which case I could have helped you out as I have a few old exhaust pipes here and a Tig welder

4. Thanks for the offer Till, we used to live in London but had to escape and now live in the Manx peace and quiet :)

Ive contacted a local metal fabricator company who works in stainless and they are happy to help, will take the bike there on monday and see what they can do

• Like Like x 2
  5. Update to the exhaust situation, I had a feeling something was wrong so picked up a new header from eBay and tried again - it was much closer. I think trying to reshape the original header had distorted it. Anyway, all sorted now and back on track...

6. Next question... Can anyone advise the correct fuel tank connections on a 888 fuel tank (picture attached below)?

A :

B :

C :

Also just to confirm the fuel flow is :

Fuel tank > horizontal cylinder > vertical cylinder > pressure reg > tank return (?)

IMG_4052.jpg

7. A is fuel return from pressure regulator
    B is fuel to Vertical
    C is overflow from filler
    Flow is tank > vert > hori > reg > tank ret..
    I stand to be corrected..

8. Thanks @ducati dad - does it matter if you go to the horizontal or vertical injector first with the fuel feed?

Diagram updated below

IMG_4052 copy.jpg

9. Not really sure, I shouldn't think so. It's just that the other way follows the natural flow as described.

10. Superb build :)
    What are you doing about the seat pad?

11. @chrisw

#71 Exige, Jul 11, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 11, 2019
  12. Well, yesterday was a big day. After getting the ST4S loom rerouted and with extending a few cables all the electrical bits are now in the tail. I’ve added a shido lithium battery in there too and it all fits nicely.

I have a standard Hypermotard 1100 ECU so I plugged it in and sure enough with ignition on, the fuel pump primed. A press of the starter and she turned over. A few quick checks, another press and she started!

Quite an amazing feeling after such a long journey.

I now need to work out what to do with the ECU... I was hoping to get the Hypermotard 5AM ECU flashed with an ST4S map but I’m not sure that’s possible? Or, I guess I need a 59M ECU suitable for a 996 engine without an immobiliser?

IMG_4121.jpg

• Like Like x 2
  13. Also had a leak from the fuel tank, theres a bolt at the back underneath and it seems to be leaking from there. What is that bolt for ? Maybe I can remove it and add some kind of sealant around the thread ?

IMG_4117.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  14. It's so you can drain tank down....

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Agree, just a drain - didn't think the ST's had them.
    Just remove and seal with gasket or suitable sealant, job done :upyeah:

16. Thanks for the replies, I'll give it a dose of Loctite 242

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. The washers are cheap enough as they’re probably the same as the sump washer - an aluminium crush washer.
    For a more elegant solution theres always dowty washers.
    What size do you need?

18. Stein Dinse list it as P/N 85211971A, size.. 8.5x14x2 common to a number of models.

19. mmm, seems I have another leak, this one a bit more serious...

Whats the best way to fix this?

IMG_4123.jpg

IMG_4125.jpg

IMG_4128.jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information