1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

888 / St4 Hybrid Project

Discussion in 'Builds & Projects' started by darko, Aug 20, 2018.

1. I should think that is repairable by welding. Any body repair shops near you? Ask for their opinion.

2. Welding will fix it properly, but you'll want to check the rest.
    You can use the POR 15 stuff but I'd be happier with weld

3. I was thinking about some kind of internal sealant but its right where the fuel pump picks up from so maybe not a good idea..

I'll take it to the local bodyshop and see what they say

4. There's a few threads on her about POR 15 sealant if you do a search :upyeah:

5. Just read about repairing cracks / pin holes by soldering it, I have all the tools to do that myself, few different soldering irons and some decent solder

any thoughts on that approach?

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Assuming the ethanol in petrol doesn't react with solder why not? you could solder first then cover with POR 15 - that way the seams will be protected in future (that's where they often go)

7. if you have checked whole lower tank and you are happy that that is the worst then you could solder that, have done several similar but largest I have managed to block is only around 2mm dia and provided corrosion is not ongoing (rarely the case) it could last a year or two. I would think long and hard about using POR 15 despite it being arguably the "best of the bunch" because it is also only temporary and is one hell of a mess to remove if it comes to it.

• Useful Useful x 1
  8. Well, that seemed to go quite well.. I used an 80W Iron and the highest purity solder I have with a 4% silver content.

After I did the first lot I then found another lot hiding under the paint further towards the hinge plate so did those too

Once it had cooled I covered with a 2 pack epoxy glue to help seal and also cover the exposed metal - this will take about 6 hours to cure

I'll see how it is in the morning and try putting some fuel into the tank

IMG_4131.jpg

IMG_4132.jpg

IMG_4134.jpg

9. if you see anything suspicious/bubbled paint etc it's worth prodding with a sharp steel thing just to check, as best to find and solder now in one go.

10. Well, fuel tank repair seems to be holding - fingers crossed it lasts a good few years

11. Today was the day to sort out the map on the bike. To summarise:

• ST4S Loom - modified to extend some connections (inc ECU) under the seat
    • Hypermotard 1100 (2008) 5AM ECU - chosen as I was told they do not run an immobiliser and the 5AM is easier to map later
    I managed to speak to some guys on the .ms forum who had successfully swapped out the original ST4S ECU (Marelli 59M) for the later ECU used on Hypermotards / 1098s etc (Marelli 5AM) They had suffered with failing ECUs so did the hard work to make the later ones work!

Using the correct cables form Lonelec, a Macbook Pro and some free (!) software called :

• IAW5xReader_V0.28_x64
    • IAW5xWriter_V0.24
    I was able to talk to the Hypermotard ECU and download the original map (in case things went wrong..) and then upload the map the guys sent me from the other forum.

To be certain the new map was on there I connected and downloaded again the map I had uploaded and the text file confirmed this was a different map to the original Hypermotard map.

Holding my breath a little I started the bike and... it ran perfectly, ticks over nicely and responds crisply to the throttle - super pleased with this result !

ECU p01.png

ECU p02.png

ECU p03.png

ECU p04.png

ECU p05.png

ECU p06.png

ECU p07.png

ECU p08.png

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. A couple of fault codes read with GuzziDiag_V0.47 to sort out but otherwise all good

The map is lacking input for the air pressure sensor so I suspect one of the codes is that

TPS probably needs a reset too as I 'think' 3.20 is a little low..

Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 17.35.13.png

Screen Shot 2019-07-17 at 17.37.49.png

• Like Like x 1
  13. Ok, so I guess the next step is the exhaust silencers.

Does anyone know (I’ve searched) if it’s possible to get any kind of link pipes to be able to run 888 high level silencers? I think someone used to make them but I can’t find any info

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. http://bbbfabrications.com/

15. thanks final_edition but I don't think they are still operating, I have sent a few messages and now the website is down...

16. Website is working now - I have left voicemails on the phone numbers - fingers crossed

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  17. Worked on the clocks / dash today, managed to convince a set of 750SS clocks to work with the ST4S loom (thought they were a slightly better match visually than the ST4S clocks)

IMG_4444.jpg

• Like Like x 1
  18. Also test fitted the single race seat on the Biposta subframe to check it cleared the grab handles etc (race subframe will come later)

ST4S Exhaust silencers are now fully fitted but don't look good (in my opinion) so the search continues for some alternatives..

IMG_4442.jpg

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. Does anyone know if the regulator cover is shared with other bikes or does anyone have the part number?

I can't find it online, I see there are carbon versions available but not sure I need to spend money on those

reg cover.jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information