1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

900 Exhaust Headers

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Nasher, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Hi all

I had a set of exhaust headers delivered today that I brought from a breakers on Ebay.
    I need them for the 900SS mongrel I’m building.
    I specifically went for a set that apparently came off a 900SS as of course some breakers say that the same headers fit the 600, 750 and 900, which just isn’t true.

I’ve just discovered that I can’t trial fit them to the engine whilst it’s in the engine stand I’m using as the legs are in the way, so I can’t verify if they fit or not. I’m also a long way off getting the bike on it’s wheels.

I’ve measured the OD of the tubes, and worryingly they are 39.5mm OD, which is 1.5mm smaller than those on my M900 which are 41mm OD.

Does anyone know of a foolproof way to tell the 600, 750 and 900 headers apart without being able to fit them to a bike?

Is the 1.5mm difference enough to show they are from a 750 or 600?

Or could it just be the difference between years on 900s?

Thanks

Nasher.

2. Have you checked the part numbers on the pipes?

3. Air Duck Hi.

Strangely enough I've just found your post having come back in from the garage with a scrap of paper with
    DUCATI ZUM M06 written on it. I had to give the headers a good clean to find it.

I was a little worried that meant Monster 600, but having done a quick Goggle I found some evidence that DUCATI ZDM M06 suggests they are for a 900SS.

All the sites google found appear to be German Ebay, or German Ducati forums, so I'm wondering if they came off a bike originally sold in Germany.

Nasher.

4. Sounds good so far then mate!
    OK I'll go and grab a set and see what's what, back in a few.

5. Think it should be ZDM mate iirc that stands for 'Ducati Motorcycle'.
    Rear header pipe section says ZDM-N06
    Front header and branch set says ZDM-M06
    Front header and branch part number stamped into the pipe: 670.1.007.1A
    These are definitely from an SS (which I've had since about 1995).
    IMG_20170419_214531.jpg IMG_20170419_214349.jpg IMG_20170419_214308.jpg

6. Thanks mate, looks like They are correct, but I'll need to find the rest of the number to be sure.

Should get a chance to get back in the garage tomorrow evening to have a look.

Nasher.

7. Try spraying some Harpic bog cleaner on them and then giving them a scrub and rinse with plenty of water, works a treat.

8. Nasher, not convinced these are for a 900, sounds like you have the narrower pipes for a 600 as I have had them before. I have downpipes in the garage for a 900 which I will check for you tomorrow.
    Ian

9. Got 2 sets headers both ZDM M06 if that helps. OD is 40 ish mm

14927786499911479786882.jpg

10. Both 900 and 600 (Monster) are 40mm pipe and look very similar but 600 is slightly shorter, IIRC due to shorter cylinders.

I had both at one time but 600 pipes went to help another Forum member's custom exhaust project. Still got the 900 (although not fitted) and polishing them has made the numbers difficult to read but the front pipe has part no. 570.1.020.1A and rear has 571.1.018.1A stamped into them (front pipe is not 100% clear due to heavy polishing but I think that's the number).

My records show that front pipe on 600 exhaust is; 570.1.029.1A, don't know on rear.

Not sure about SS pipes, obviously same engine but the rear pipe maybe different due to the swingarm design?

11. Thanks so much guys.

I've cleaned the pipes up a bit better and found both sets of stamped numbers.

The front/horizontal Cyl pipe and collector is marked:
    DUCATI ZDM - M06 570 1007 1A

The Vertical Cyl pipe is marked:
    DUCATI ZDM - N06 571 1007 1A

These tie up very nicely with what both Air Duck and Desmoquattro have shown/said, plus now I can see the actual part numbers I've checked them against the Stein-Dinse website and they are down as 900 SS/SL 94-97, so spot on for what I need.

The Numbers Dukedesmo has posted do indeed show as the correct part numbers for a 94 M900.

I'm probably going to be taking the exhaust off my own 1997 M900 in the next couple of months to give them a good clean up and maybe polish, so should have the opportunity to compare the 900SS and M900 systems to see exactly what's different about them.

Nasher.

12. Cool Nasher glad it matches up, those are the correct ones then.

13. Sorry about that, I had got it arse about face and thought that you were asking if they were for an M900 rather than an SS. :Bag:

But at least you know what they're not... :upyeah:

14. Here's the rear pipe number (that goes with the pipes I posted earlier):
    IMG_20170423_144544.jpg

Do Not Sell My Personal Information