1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

900ss Ie Service Etc Etc.

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Alan williams, Dec 30, 2018.

1. Reading this thread with interest. I had a 90SSie. I never recall any difficulties with batteries or starting (unlike my 749!), but one thing I did find worthwhile was to dump those awful rubber wellnuts, and fit Dzus fasteners to the fairing. or at least, replace the wellnuts with new ones. They work well when new, but when old, if the whole thing starts rotating, removing the fairings can be a pig of a job.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Yes you will get away with replacing centre hub as your basket doesn't look to bad, i get my stuff for mine on ebay either from italy or germany. The whole clutch:
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/NEU-Duca...575999?hash=item2aa036daff:g:5VAAAOSwjt5ahYzr
    Or see if you can get a second hand hub somewhere or from here:
    https://www.bike-parts-ducati.com/d...ersport_900/Supersport-900/CLUTCH/250/6/0/250

#202 WAYNE, Jul 21, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2020
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Put the clutch back together, having decided to try and get bike back on the road soon as I can, so will use the centre with broken pillar until I can afford a new one.

Stupid question time, there is very little fluid in the reservoir, and was full before I pulled the clutch apart. Where’s that gone then, can’t see evidence of it leaking out anywhere ?

Also got some lighter fork oil, sure some stupid questions will follow when I change it.
    First being, plan A is to strip and clean them, over the top or sensible ?

4. If you can't find leaking anywhere i wouldn't worry about it just top up and keep an eye on it incase there is a leak somewhere and i would say a good fork strip and clean is the way to go, mine need doing on my 900ie but keep putting it off, procrastinating :laughing:.

• Like Like x 1
  5. If you can't find leaking anywhere it doesn't mean that it's not, just that you haven't found out where. Probably from the slave and down by the gearbox sprocket where you haven't noticed it because it's mixed in with the oil from the chain. If it was leaking at the master you would definitely have noticed it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Cheers.

I think fork strip makes sense, they are too firm I think. Maybe adjustment would sort it, but would like to strip and check them, maybe lighter fork oil will help too.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Don't top it up until the clutch is refitted and reassembled, it may just be that the slave piston has moved "out" and when reassembled and the piston is pushed in, the reservoir level will be returned.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. Yes, clutch is back together. To be honest it wasn’t until after I’d assembled it and pulled the lever that I noticed.

Will top it up and keep an eye on it.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. 4E19410C-6994-4A48-89A8-5269D9D0B50D.jpeg

Clutch Bleed nipple broke off.

Think I might just leave everything loose, what could go wrong then o_O

• WTF WTF x 1
  10. Managed to get the bolt out, will have to order a new one and bleed nipple.

Not sure if it’s me but a previous owner appears to have tightened everything far beyond what is necessary.

Is there a good place to order a ‘complete’ set of bolts ?
    Looking closer today and most seem to be nearly rounded off already.

11. That's the main problem with used motorcycles, the Arnold Schwarzenegger mechanic, always to tight and nothing done by feel! You could look here for parts, it's where i get most of my bits but someone might know somewhere else.
    https://www.bike-parts-ducati.com/ducati-motorcycle

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  12. Any harm in using aluminium banjo bolts ?

13. I wouldn't even consider them. They are relatively soft and easily sheared by overtightening, they mark easily then start looking white and furry where the anodising has been damaged with a spanner unless you take care protect the surface with tape or something.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Thanks Derek, remembered there was a reason - but not what it was. Will stick with stainless steel.

My list of little bits I need is growing unfortunately, as it’s been a while I’ve run out of things like loctite and copper slip.

Any other useful (preferably cheap) things I should add to the list ?

15. Hopefully do the forks in the next few days, I’m starting to fear undoing anything as everything I’ve done so far has been over tightened.

16. Just remove two (opposite) springs from the clutch pressure plate.

17. Yes, see post 190.

I did, and managed to break one of the ‘posts’ on the clutch centre.

18. Note to self... If ever I buy from anyone who says they've done all their own work on the bike, ask to see their torque wrench...!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  19. And if you dump the fuse box holder which sits in the battery tray you can just fit the 18amp/hour Odessey in there. Don’t bother about bespoke cable upgrade kits. Just go to Halfords and get replacement leads of the correct length and run them in parallel with the existing. The fat red ones and you can see where the two missing clutch springs have bee removed.

2EB5F80C-3EAB-4BA3-840C-0D215DBAFC96.jpeg

• Like Like x 2
Do Not Sell My Personal Information