1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

900ss Ie Service Etc Etc.

Discussion in 'Supersport (1974-2007)' started by Alan williams, Dec 30, 2018.

1. I found a download and printed it for my ST2. One section remained in Italian, but I found another source for that part.
    I bought a genuine unbound (ring binder works OK) worksop manual for less than £30. delivered. That is very comrehensive with very good illustrations. There are also parts lists with exploded diagrams for those Airfix trained machanics........ see Star Twin online parts with prices. They give me shock every time I look.

2. Old Git please. :motorcycleduc::)

3. Is the Haynes manual ok ?

Their reputation years ago, if I remember right, wasn’t too good.

4. Didn't mean you - I just spent about 30 minutes going through my external hard drive looking for a manual, then he tells me he got one. Git ;)

5. I still don't rate them. IMO the best 'manual' you can have is the OEM parts manual and a wiring diagram.

6. Oops, sorry.

The one I got is the owners handbook.

I feel bad now.

7. I am pleased he got sorted. You obviously like to help. Cheers

8. Most bikes I have worked on have been old British ones. I seem to be ok at pulling things apart and chucking the bits in a box, then remembering where it all goes.
    Is the OEM parts manual available ?

9. I’m old too by the way.
    GIT will do though

10. Haynes isnt the best, but its worth having. The genuine SS workshop manual can be found for free online

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. EF8B0EE5-4FCC-445A-A27C-8A49F1DCE6DC.jpeg

Thought I’d do the belts today.

The tensioner bolts, in my opinion, have been over tightened. The top one in the pic above is knackered.

Any idea how I undo it ?

12. You could try tapping a slightly oversize torx or star bit into it with a hammer, hopefully it will grab it well enough to undo.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Yep, you need to change the belts alright.

I had the same problem on my 750 with the bolts - the torx method didn't work, either.

So I drilled the head off and then found the remaining thread was loose and undid it with my fingers. If it is a bit tight carefully drill a small hole into it by say 3mm and use a bit or screwdriver to bring it out.

FYI, I got fed up with Ducati's OEM cheese low head bolts which should be the ones that are used for the belt tensioners and brake discs, so I bought a huge number of good stainless ones. I have plenty left - ;)

14. Just tried the torx method, and no didn’t work. Worth a try though.

Next step the drill.

What’s the best place to source the stainless ones ?

15. Got it out in the end.

Resorted to air hammer to cut a slot and then angled the air hammer to loosen it.

16. A589D3EC-F56C-4BBE-9ADA-499FA86AC36B.jpeg 33ED0BD9-E6B3-4ED9-8790-C5B698F1AE7C.jpeg New belts on. Not tensioned yet as need to get new bolts :mad:

17. PM me your address etc, and I will stick some in the post. The ones I have are M8 Low socket head 20mm long. I can't recall what the length of the tensioner ones are; because at some stage I had to cut some old brake disc ones down slightly but I don't remember why!

18. @Arquebus, daft question - how do I PM.

Tried ‘start a conversation’ but it wouldn’t let me.

Thank you for the offer.

19. I started it......

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
Do Not Sell My Personal Information